Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Bottom line, Symbian is a company, not a partnership.

They are pretty clear on the fact that they use pass through accounting as well...

I apologise for shouting, but sometimes insularity just gets to me.

Well, this is the U.S. Motley Fool board, not the U.K. Motley Fool board, so there may be a legitimate basis for confusion when terms are used in a manner that is inconsistent with their commonly accepted U.S. definition.

In the U.S., "pass through" accounting does not mean allocation of profits and losses in accordance with each partner's equity stake. It means that the tax effects of the profits and losses are incurred directly by the partners, rather than being taxed at the entity level as is the case with a corporation. Thus, my prior example of a 20% equity partner of a partnership being allocated 50% of the losses and 30% of the gains would still constitute "pass through" accounting, as the term is used in the U.S.

My whole point, as always, has been that I personally would not invest in Psion based on its EPOC licensing revenues until I had first confirmed the profit-sharing arrangement from the Symbian venture. Others are, of course, free to do as they wish.

Ron
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.