Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Bottom line- You don't have to use 1040 unless your taxable income is greater than $50,000. Both 1040EZ and 1040A (and Telefile) require a taxable income of no more than $50,000.

This is wrong. There are many other reasons why you might have to use Form 1040 with taxable income less than $50K. Capital gain or loss is the most obvious one. I agree with Phil Marti that you should always use Form 1040. It solves the problem of worrying whether you qualify for one form or the other and it alerts you to all of the possibilities for reducing your tax liability. You can just leave blank any line which doesn't apply to you.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.