Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Bought a company that was acquired by GE.

That's the toughest one. Ideally, you'd have your cost information from the company that GE bought AND you'd have the information from GE on the acquisition/merger that explains the tax ramifications of the transaction. If I had to guess, I'd say your cost carried over from the old company to GE. But that is far from certain.

Then bought GE thru AG Edwards and also M/L.

Purchase cost is your basis for these shares. Easy peasy.

Inherited additional GE.

Basis is FMV as of the date of death.

During this time sold some GE thru AGE(at that time I didn't know to add the dividends so paid way too much tax).

Maybe, maybe not. IF you were in a DRIP with AGE AND you sold both the purchased shares and the DRIP shares, then you made a mistake. For tax purposes, consider the DRIP as if you just bought additional shares with every dividend.

Then both AGE and M/L purchases were combined at Schwab

That's actually a non-issue for tax purposes.

Now, figure up your basis in each source of shares. And keep track of the dates to go with each as well. Then when you sell, use the basis of the oldest shares as your cost. (Unless you instruct Schwab to sell specific shares.)

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.