Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 26
So I bought a Tesla.

I'm retired, and living in a village about 25 miles outside Vancouver BC.
This area has the highest gasoline prices in North America (got up to $1.70/litre, about 5.20/US gal), and the lowest electricity prices. About 97% of BC's electricity is Hydro. The climate around here is very temperate. 70's in the summer, 30-40 in the winter. Golf courses open all year, hardly ever snows.

We've had it about 8 weeks so far and put about 1200 km on it. Don't drive much.
We had been thinking about going full electric for some time now, and had gone down to the local Nissan dealer to look at a Leaf. Very efficient, but not very inspiring. I'm kind of a car guy. I had a Genesis coupe that I loved dearly. 350hp and a manual 6-speed. Great car. I wound up selling that to transition to the Tesla.

The BC government offered a $5000 subsidy to help buy electric. Suddenly, out of the blue, the Canadian federal government offered an additional $5000 for the same thing. That did it. Forget the Leaf, go look at a Tesla.

Went online and used my visa to reserve a car (Tesla 3 Premium Plus). It cost $3200 to reserve, refundable if you want to cancel, or don't like the car when it arrives.
Went down to the showroom in downtown Vancouver and took a test drive. They just show you how to drive it (to put it in drive push this down. Reverse push up. Park, push this button. Seeya) So off we went and pootled about Vancouver for 20 minutes or so. Amazing car. Went back to Tesla and ordered one.

I got a few e-mails keeping track of things, and when you order one you open an account with Tesla that lets you see what's going on with your car order. My delivery time was about 3 weeks. About a week before delivery I got an e-mail saying that if I was going to install home charging, I'd better get it done now. I have a good friend who owns an electrical engineering firm (among other things he does the Vancouver Airport) so he sent a guy around and did the installation. Charged me about $200.

The car was delivered on time, and we went to pick it up. Did all the registration and insurance &etc. right at the dealership.

Over the years, we have owned several pretty good cars, including a couple of BMW's and a Lexus. We figured that the best of the bunch was a BMW 530 from about 2005. We figure that the Tesla is at least as good as that one, and maybe better. Incredibly smooth and quiet with great performance if you need that kind of thing.

Total price tag was ~$67000 CAD. That includes a 12% sales tax. Minus the $10000 subsidies ~$57000, and I got $12000 for the Genesis, so out-of-pocket ~$45000. Those numbers are all CAD.

Some numbers: power 202kw, which equates to 271 hp. Published range is 240miles/386km. Mileage is 133 MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) I plug it in about once a week, and the electrical cost is negligible so far.

This post has gone on long enough, but if anyone has any questions, I will answer with as much detail as I can. I can talk about charging, driving, technical details, whatever.

OK, one last couple of numbers which I think are amazing. There are 33.7 kw of energy in a gallon of gas. The best gas engines get about 40% efficiency. A Tesla gets over 90% efficiency. The battery pack for this particular model is 62kw or the equivalent of 1.84 gallons of gas. It will go 240 miles on that.

Cheers,
Rip
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.