Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
A bit of background: because BRK had run up so much it was getting to be too big a part of my portfolio. So I sold some and was looking to redeploy.

MKL is never going to be as cheap as it was right after the Alterra acquisition, unless Tom G screws up or the whole market stumbles. And even then, e.g. in Oct 2014, it didn't really crash. So I bit the bullet and bought some.
WTM seems to be cheaper than its usual P/B and has done OK in the past.

I was in 19% cash, now 15%, so these two are not big positions. Yet.
BRK has been good to me but I am waiting for their February 13F.

More background: After the Oct 2014 correction I was fully invested but at the end of December, decided to sell some so-so stocks (1/2 of T, VZ, CBI (at a profit!!)) and some that had run up significantly (1/3 of AZN, LLY, others); and ALL of my index ETFs, to go to 20% cash.

As I put this down in writing I think I am getting to be a market-timer and I don't want to be. e.g. I have owned HSY since 2003 through thick and thin and that was the right decision.
What's the right answer? I think for me it would be "buy-and-hold individual stocks, don't buy unless capable of holding through 50% drop, try to time via index ETFs only." Market timing is too tempting to give up cold turkey entirely.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.