Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Boy, boy, crazy boy
Get cool, boy
Got a rocket in your pocket
Keep cooly cool boy

To answer your question, yes. You are doing it exactly right. The only reason you might continue contributing to your traditional 401k instead of your Roth 401k is if you really need the tax benefits or Roth benefits would not apply to you. At your age, you have plenty of years of income growth ahead of you, unless you retire early, so the question you need to ask is whether or not you expect to live off a higher income in retirement than you currently do employed.

If you think you will be in a higher tax bracket when you retire than you currently enjoy, then it makes sense to make a Roth 401k contribution and take the tax hit now. But if you expect your retirement income will be lower then your current income, contributing to a Traditional 401k could be your best option, reducing your current tax liability and pushing it down the road.

Who thinks when you take into account the likelihood that tax rates will increase 10-20 years into the future, contributing to the Roth 401k and taking the tax hit now is the most attractive option...
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.