Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
what a thug!!!

I hope they give him a lengthy suspension for punching Pittsburg goalie in the head from BEHIND!!!

Premeditated act, went straight toward him on purpose!!!
Print the post Back To Top
agree. I expect 5 games, and he deserves at least that.

https://triblive.com/sports/bruins-forward-brad-marchand-att...

In the scramble in front of the net prior to the whistle, Jarry got a stick to the mask from Marchand (right after Marchand shoots, Guentzel screens it from the camera a bit). That was probably not intentional. Jarry gets up after whistle and chirps at Marchand (?? keep your stick out of my face shimp?), antagonizing Marchand, and then the punch, and then the follow up stick to the face. This should be more than a couple games for Marchand. Stupid.
I expect 5 games, and he deserves at least that.

Based in part on what Wilson got for what he did late last year against the Rangers, for this I expect Marchand to get a bouquet of primroses and a box of chocolates from the NHL.

That would also be consistent with the league's response to Jordan Greenway shouldering not one but two goalies in the head when they weren't looking.

-n8 (Avs writer for The Athletic apparently tweeted this hypothetical headline last month: "Kadri to be suspended 5 games for Greenway's hit on Kuemper")
I will also say, the Pitt response was weak.

Whether that first contact was intentional or not (with Marchand either could be true), Pitt should have been moving him away with the whistle, and ESPECIALLY as Jarry chirped him. Guentzel just skates away and Letang doesn't even turn to Marchand as Jarry is yelling at him. After the punch, Letang does go after Marchand, but 2 Bruins respond even faster to not allow it. Referee moves Marchand away, but right to Crosby who .... does nothing at all. And as the refs move Marchand back across the center, there is no Penguin even talking to him, let alone between him and Jarry. Dumoulin gets a pass on the first part, as he was clearing Bruins on the other side of the net, but stood like a statue after the punch and as Marchand moved back towards Jarry. Rust even ignores Marchand after the second stick to mask taunt / poke. Inconceivable.

Letang gets a B- for response, the rest of the team an F. The Penguins coach must have been livid with his team after the game.

The teams play again on April 16, and again on the 21st. There needs to be a response then, may be too late.
No. of Recommendations: 1
6 games.

And (credit to THG) with this suspension Marchand passes Pronger with the most suspensions in NHL history.
should have been 30 games, punched goalie in back of head from behind (coward move) and then speeded him from in front...

Evander Kane...21 games for fake vaccination card

Brad Marchand...6 games for twice trying to injure a player within 30 seconds
6 games seems fine. Intent to injure is a stretch. The punch was childish, pathetic and cowardly (I'd add stupid) but meant more to piss off than harm. The stick to the face was a taunting gesture, more along the lines of 'I'll do what I want' than to inflict harm.
He's a repeat offender, and going for the lifetime achievement award. I'm not sure that "I was just taunting" is much of a defense, and nor is "I wasn't trying to hurt him, just to piss him off" - if you see it that way, okay. The real issue is that he plays for Boston, and as we see time and time again, there are different rules for Bruins and the rest of the league.
I do not see it as a defense. He deserves the 6 games for being a stupid punk. It has no place in the game. But I did not see it as an 'intent to injure'.
I do not see it as a defense. He deserves the 6 games for being a stupid punk. It has no place in the game. But I did not see it as an 'intent to injure'.

The stick to the mask, no. But the punch to the head before that was definitely intent to injure. My biggest disappointment is that Crosby didn't at least try to twist Marchand's head completely off with both arms when he had the chance right after the blind-side chicken-$#!+ cheap shot to the goalie's head. I can see not full-on cross-checking Marchand right in the back of the neck, as that might have drawn a penalty, but come on. There are two kinds of captain. Sidney Crosby is one kind ("I'm going to stand here by you and look disinterested"). Gabe Landeskog or any of the other kind would have pulled Marchand's jock over his head and then fed it to him a fistful at a time without asking the linesman standing right there for permission first. Since that didn't happen, I'm guessing and hoping the players are going to find a way to work it out. Let Marchand leave the ice only once, preferably not feet first, the next time Boston and Pittsburgh play. Side benefit if both guys on Boston's idiot homer announcing team, especially the clown with the extra thick-on-purpose accent, have minor heart attacks over it and need to retire from broadcasting for a life of leisure.

I think the 6-game suspension for The Rat* fits both the crime and the history, and yes, suspensions *should* get progressively longer for repeat offenses, but there should also be minimums. Punching a defenseless player, even in a fighting situation (which this wasn't), should get a guy 20 games minimum and that includes what Wilson did to Panerin last year, for which Wilson (also a habitual offender) got zero. Not only that, Wilson told the league and the world everything it needed to know about his level of remorse when he flexed in the penalty box about bashing the unhelmeted head of a non-combative and much smaller player into the ice, twice, ending Panerin's season. But I digress.

The league needs to come down *HARD* on Wilson, Marchand, and Greenway for their repeated reckless injury attempts if it's going to claim to be serious about player safety.

-n8 (Yes Philly fans, I know BowelMovement63 is not the original "Rat", but he's the current one.)
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-keeps-feeding-the-rat/
Crosby was cruising towards the half wall inside the right circle when the punch was made. He can't possibly be disinterested in what he couldn't have seen. I can't gauge Landeskogs captaincy because I haven't seen much of him. But in all of the characteristics applied to Crosby (whether whiner, or serial winner), I've never heard the word disinterested.
He can't possibly be disinterested in what he couldn't have seen.

LOL. I get that it could be confusing since only Letang seemed to be reacting at all, and ... not all that strongly.

Bruins were in the wrong ... no question. But they responded 'like a team'. Pitt didn't.
Yes, and letang was the only one on the ice that saw the punch and he is smart enough to not push through two officials to get at Marchand. Guentzel had his back to it and was exiting the crease. Doumolins head was down and Rust wasn't in the area. So It's sort of hard to "respond like a team" to something that only Letang saw. I think the Pens are a few bricks shy of a load, but whatever lies ahead, their fate won't be determined by how fans perceive how they respond like a team to a cheap shot they didn't see. The team response I liked was coming back after being down by two goals after the first period while being totally dominated by the Bs. I'll take that response.

But hockey players, in general, don't forget things like this. I just hope the response doesn't come during a game that has meaning in the standings. I'd hate to lose a game or playoff position to satisfy a fans need for them to respond like a team....whatever the heck that means.
Bruins were in the wrong ... no question. But they responded 'like a team'. Pitt didn't.

I have to admit that at first pass I missed the humor in this. So how exactly did the Bs respond like a team? Was it the typical hugging and grabbing that all teams do during a typical scrum? Or was the punch to the head the response? Obviously it wasn't giving up 4 goals after being up 2. Sounds like a pyrrhic victory to me. I'll take the win, helical, you can have claim to who responds as a team.

Cosmid
So how exactly did the Bs respond like a team?

Watch the clip again, focus on Coyle and McAvoy.

Letang was the only one on the ice that saw the punch and he is smart enough to not push through two officials to get at Marchand

Smart enough? Pathetic. And he couldn't anyway since McAvoy wouldn't let him. Crosby? Maybe he didn't see the sucker punch, but he saw his teammate go for Marchand, and he did .... what exactly? Pat him on the back? What about the follow on stick to the face? Did the Penguins still have their heads up their ...... then?

I'd be very happy with a playoff matchup against Pittsburg.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'd be very happy with a playoff matchup against Pittsburg.

As you should be, I guess. Jarry is unproven in the playoffs, so who wouldn't be happy with a matchup against them? I'll just be content with getting in, have some success for a young goal tender. I couldn't possibly care less who they play. Once they are in they win or lose on their own. But whatever their shortcoming, it won't be team character.

Back to the issue of the team character, what did the actions of BM do for the Bs? Build character? Pump up the muscles of the two Charlie's? A guy with an A on his sweater does something entirely self serving and stupid, and somehow that builds team chemistry? I've been on enough teams in sport and elsewhere, and this stuff pisses off vets and is a lousy example to the younger guys. Trust me, I had to live through the Matt Cooke days. His idiocy grew old and he became despised in the clubhouse. I was happy when they cut ties. This kind of leadership doesn't cut it anywhere. Wanna be a pest? Have at it. You are good at it, it has a place in hockey. But I don't buy for a second that the take away is that this is admirable in any sense. Not by most fans or players.

Cosmid