Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
braix - MidCap Growth, 4 Stars, no dividend yield, high expense ratio, high turnover, only 4 years managment tenure, high past performance less than 5 years history.

brsgx - SmallCap Growth, not rated, no dividend yield, acceptable expense ratio, acceptable turnover, only 2 years management tenure, high past performance but less than 3 years history.

brsvx - SmallCap Value, not rated, no dividend yield, acceptable expense ratio, acceptable turnover, only 2 years management tenure, high past performance but less than 3 years history.

brlgx - LargeCap Growth, not rated, low dividend yield, acceptable expense ratio, low turnover, only 2 years management tenure, good past performance but less than 3 years history.

brlvx - LargeCap value, not rated, low dividend yield, acceptable expense ratio, low turnover, only 2 years management tenure, good past performance but less than 3 years history.

I am a huge Bridgeway fan, or should I say John Montgomery fan. He is the manager of all the funds at Bridgeway. So, while it is true that the manager tenure is short on these funds, the manager has been there for a long time.

BRAIX is the "aggressive investors 2", which was introduced because the "aggressive investors" fund closed to new accounts. Montgomery has a reputation for closing funds before they get too big. I actually appreciate that.

For my money, I'd invest in both of the small-cap funds - I currently own BRSVX (I realize small-growth tends to not be worth the risk, but I'd probably give him the opportunity). The large-cap funds also look good, although there are probably better choices out there.

Finally, Montgomery did have a brush with the SEC about a year ago. He strongly believes in performance based compensation - but he did not follow the rules, I think it's 205-B or something like that. If you go to their website, you can read about the charges, and letters in response to it. He had to pay a fine, as did the advisor company. If you can get past that, I think these are fine funds.

Ryan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.