Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I had my brakes changed and the mechanic tried to sell me a brake cleaning and adjustment on my 1995 Monte Carlo. Is this really nescessary or was he trying to scam me? Thanks for a reply.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Author: nezzy Date: 5/23/99 12:13 PM Number: 1922
I had my brakes changed and the mechanic tried to sell me a brake cleaning and adjustment on my 1995 Monte Carlo. Is this really nescessary or was he trying to scam me? Thanks for a reply.

I assume you meant checked and not changed. A clean and adjust is gravey to a mechanic -- that means easy money, not a scam! As long as they were checked and are in proper working order you don't need to mess with them.

The rears on your car should be drums and are self adjusting (each time you brake when going in revese the adjuster will ratchet up a tooth to take up any slack). Provided the adjusters are working there is no need to do a manual adjust and if they aren't working the brake check would have revealed the problem.

The fronts should be discs and will have no adjustments to make. If you want to clean your own brakes you can do the fronts very easily, just hose them off the next time you wash the car! To clean the rear you would need to remove the drums but there really is no need to clean them. The only problem with a cleaning is that the sliding parts may get some of the lubricant washed away which means that the contact surfaces really should be recoated to prevent galling or excessive wear in the future.

Motor on!
TAFool
Print the post Back To Top