No. of Recommendations: 2
I have a few brands I am loyal to (mostly because of the quality). I thought it would be good to hear how others might handle items purchased that might be a little more expensive due to brand loyalty.

I usually plan ahead for when I might be able to purchase items on sale. Some brand names have annual sales which I also keep in mind when planning a purchase. My high-end brands include Le Creuset, Dooney & Bourke, Toro, and Dansko.

AC *most of the time I cut costs but there are exceptions*
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am not brand loyal but, a high quality item will get my attention, no matter the brand. I've noticed though that many brands are hits and misses just like with anything else. So I just pick and choose what I like with no brand affiliation.

Having said that I do own a Gucci watch; Gucci sneakers and Gucci sunglasses. It was not by design however but I just happened to see those things; thought they were high quality and purchased them. I've actually bought a pair of both the watch and sunglasses. The 2nd go around was used on ebay at a deeply discounted price. The sneakers were bought used at a thrift store.
No. of Recommendations: 16
Having said that I do own a Gucci watch; Gucci sneakers and Gucci sunglasses. It was not by design however but I just happened to see those things; thought they were high quality and purchased them. I've actually bought a pair of both the watch and sunglasses. The 2nd go around was used on ebay at a deeply discounted price. The sneakers were bought used at a thrift store.

And why do you keep turning the conversation here to lifestyle? This board is about credit card and consumer debt. If you went into debt to purchase these things, but have since paid it off - no need for discussion. If you are struggling to pay any debt that you incurred buying these items, then start talking about debt, not about the purchases.

If you want to talk about lifestyle and living above or below your means, there are other boards to post those discussions on.

AJ
Why don't you tell the person who started the topic? I was attracted to this board recently to discuss my recent credit card pay off -- which was mostly car related expenses.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I actually started this thread. I thought it might be interesting to discuss the different ways people budget and plan.

AC *sorry if I was wrong to bring it up*
No. of Recommendations: 3
I have a few brands I am loyal to (mostly because of the quality).

Puffs tissues.

peace & accept no substitute
t
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you went into debt to purchase these things, but have since paid it off - no need for discussion

I do think I originally purchased the watch and sunglasses on credit before realizing the folly of such a move way back then.Although it should be noted that I was working just as hard, but a lot poorer back then. I could easily just pay cash for such purchases now.

I have since paid it off but, fail to see why that fact--of paying it off--isn't worthy of discussion on the board.
Puffs tissues.

peace & accept no substitute
t

I'm the same way but my allegiance is to Kleenex. :0)

AC *was hoping for a bit of banter regarding larger priced items*
AC *was hoping for a bit of banter regarding larger priced items*

OK- I am also fiercely loyal to the Subaru.

But I have never owned a new one- or even one newer than 10 years old.

peace & not your target audience
t
No. of Recommendations: 5
I can't think of any brands to which I have significant loyalty.

Sometimes I will consider brands when making purchases as insuring a measure of quality.

There are some interdental brushes I use for cleaning between teeth --- I use that brand consistently, but that's because no one else makes a competing product.

I use a prescription fluoride toothpaste I get from my dentist.

Maybe my teeth are brand conscious. I find that careful home care of teeth saves real money long term!

Seattle Pioneer
First time I've ever heard of Toro being considered a high-end brand, at least for their home-owner lines (the stuff sold at Home Depot and similar).

xtn
My husband insisted on Apple products, so we've only bought Apple computers, iPads, and since ~10 years ago--iPhones.

I brush with Tom's of Maine toothpaste, while the hubster prefers Aim. We both like Oral B electric toothbrushes.

I also love LeCreuset and All-Clad for cooking pots. And my Shun chef's knife. Unlikely to ever need another cooking vessel, though.

I haven't worn a watch since I got my first iPhone ;-)
I have a few brands I am loyal to (mostly because of the quality).

Same here. I'm generally pretty fanatical about buying stuff used or on the cheap. My exceptions are:
- Scanpan cookware: just excellent at what it does (but I can still never bring myself to pay retail)
- Apple everything: generally excellent quality and I trust the company (partly because I used to work there)
- Tesla: because their car is the future, so much better than anything else I've ever driven that it's a fundamentally different thing (it costs too much, but the Model 3 will fix that)

Apple I justify additionally because I'm heavily invested in the company, so I pretend that I have to buy stuff so I can really understand the company's products. Occasionally that's actually the case -- when I can get AirPods I will, although I don't really need them, and I bought my daughter the fancy iPad with the Pencil so she could tell me whether it was really good. But mostly I buy new MacBooks of one type or another as they are needed, and don't get rid of them until years later (I recently retired one from 2008). And most of the family is still using the iPhone 5S, with one 6 and one 7.

I think brand loyalty is mostly about not having to think too hard, and making shopping simpler. If you trust a brand to be high quality, everything gets easier (so long as it remains true).

-IGU-
(being cheap is a very difficult habit to kick)
OK- I am also fiercely loyal to the Subaru.

But I have never owned a new one- or even one newer than 10 years old.

How long have you been able to keep the ones you bought that were 10+ years old?

My 18 year old Mustang is starting to cost more in repairs each year than it's worth, so I'm researching replacement vehicles. I don't want RWD, so on my list to test drive are 2 Honda coupes with FWD, and 2 Subarus for their AWD. But I've been thinking of buying new, since I want to keep my next car until it's too expensive to maintain, and 2-3 years used don't seem to give big savings in those 2 Makes. So I'm wondering how long you've been able to keep a used car you bought that was 10+ years old when you bought it.
Hmmm, high-end brands.

I like Pucci purses because of their '60's/psychedelic patterns. Used them since 2010, bought 2, both off eBay.

I have a All-Clad saucier, which I love. But when I was researching to buy a 2-quart covered Saute pan, I found a tester who tested out All Clad versus Tramontina, and the All Clad only did slightly better. So I went with the Tramontina.

I'm more brand loyal when it comes to beauty products (hair care, skin care, makeup) or packaged food.
I wouldn't say it's necessarily high-end but I am brand loyal. My father always bought their lawnmowers and we had good luck with them. When I got married my husband bought a 'yardman' mower and I have never seen such a pile of crap. Every time we used it something else fell off. So after we separated I bought a Toro and I've been using it now for 17 years. I'm hoping it will make it a few more years before I have to replace it.

AC *YMMV*

My 18 year old Mustang is starting to cost more in repairs each year than it's worth

I used to believe that about my car but, at the end of the day what it's "worth" is highly subjective and only relevant to you.

A blue book value matters to a dealer but, you will have a hard time selling anything that old. In fact from what I've seen at dealer auctions -- no one really wants anything older than 6 years old with > 90,000 miles.

I put more than 1000 in repairs in my old FOrd Truck this past year. I think it has a blue book value of 1800$. I have no illusions of getting anything close to that.

A new ford truck will run me more than double on a monthly basis (not including taxes and insurance) what I've paid all to do what my car does now.

Sure to a dealer looking to low ball me on a trade -- it's just an old car that leaks a little power steering fluid and has a check engine light on. To me it does exactly what 50,ooo mile new car does (except enable me to save hundreds every month). THen again I live in a city with good public transportation.
No. of Recommendations: 8
no one really wants anything older than 6 years old with > 90,000 miles.

I think this really depends on the vehicle. I typically buy my cars new, and for me, that has meant Honda. I drive my cars for about 200,000 miles, which is about 8 to 10 years, and then get the replacement. I have had no trouble selling those vehicles in private sales for their blue book value which has typically been around $2500 or so.

When my kids bought their cars upon graduating from college in 2013, they each also bought a used Honda. DS got a 2005 Accord with about 135k miles on it, and DD got a 2008 Civic which was a baby with just under 100k miles on it. Both cars are still going strong.

My plan is to give DS my 2012 Civic when I buy a 2019 in about 2 1/2 years, and I expect it will have about 140k miles on it by that point. This will be the earliest that I have ever replaced a car, but I'm working a different agenda with this one because I want to replace my car going into retirement and before the cash flow from income stops, and I want to help DS a bit with a replacement vehicle, so I'm doing this one way ahead of schedule.

To stay on topic with this thread, I'm fairly loyal to Honda, and have been buying them (new) since 1982. I don't see that changing at all.
^
It sounds like you're an exception since it looks like you drive about double what average mileage should be given your car's age.
My 18 year old Mustang is starting to cost more in repairs each year than it's worth
-------------------------------------------------------------

I used to believe that about my car but, at the end of the day what it's "worth" is highly subjective and only relevant to you.

A blue book value matters to a dealer but, you will have a hard time selling anything that old. In fact from what I've seen at dealer auctions -- no one really wants anything older than 6 years old with > 90,000 miles.

I'm not expecting to sell it - I'm eventually going to donate it. Purple Heart takes cars and there's also a housing nonprofit for developmentally challenged individuals called Melwood in my area.

Well my property tax assessment on it says it's worth about $1,500, and last year I put about $3,000 worth of repairs into it, and right now I'm $2,100 in the hole for 2017 for work I just had done to it. So at this point keeping it is becoming an expensive hobby.

While I'm not in a rush to go out and get a replacement, I want to be ready with knowing what I want to get next for when the next large repair comes up.
You're into for 5000$+. ?

Am I reading that right? If yes why are you getting rid of it now?

You're better off selling it and writing a check to a charity you want to give it to. Your car will go for auction for 500 bucks tops of which your charity might get even less than that.
Brands I like are:

LLBean, Lands End, Crest toothpaste, Toyota, Subaru, Bird's Eye California Blen veg., Uniball ball point pens 207...can't think of any others. I like New Balance shoes. :)

Lawnmowers, I have had Sears to Honda's......ethanol gas eats the engines up and it was only last year when I kindly old man told me about how to maintain these things.

I did have a 1987 Sears Craftsman garden tractor that lasted until a few yrs. ago when the motor went on it.....no repair parts to fix it. That was a fine and well made tractor.

LuckyDog
You're into for 5000$+. ?

Am I reading that right? If yes why are you getting rid of it now?

From Dec 2015-Jan 2017 it's $5,000. But that included things like new tires and breaks/break pads - which constantly wear out. The replacement parts were struts and shocks (Dec 2015), air compressor for the a/c (June 2016) and now a new fuel tank. So really it cost me $3,000 in 2016 to keep, and now so far for 2017 it's at $2,000. My vehicle property tax, if I buy a new car that's worth about $25,000, will increase to $1,000, plus insurance will increase too on a higher value car. So up until 2016 it's been a wash to hang on to it.

I'm not getting rid of it now. I'm researching and test driving new vehicles so that the next time it needs a large amount of work if I don't want to do the work I can go out and buy something else. If that doesn't happen until the end of this year or more, than that's fine. I'm not someone who is going to go out and test drive a new car and then will want a new car. I really can't stand newer cars - I hate all the pops and whistles they now have on the dash, which will inevitable break and burn out. The only appeal of a new car to me is FWD (since I'm tired of living in fear even a few flurries will incapacitate my car) and slightly better fuel mileage. The trade offs of a whole-bunch-of-electronic-C@#!p I don't want, is many.

I'll be donating it when the time comes just to get it off my hands. I don't really need a dime back from it to buy my next car.
<< When I got married my husband bought a 'yardman' mower and I have never seen such a pile of crap. Every time we used it something else fell off. >>

Heh, heh! That's what's happening to my Obamacare plan! Time to repeal and replace!

Seattle Pioneer
I think the OP is looking for things like Armani when it goes on sale 50 percent off after thanksgiving etc. Not Tide laundry detergent. Although these other replies are very informative also.
Lawnmowers, I have had Sears to Honda's......ethanol gas eats the engines up and it was only last year when I kindly old man told me about how to maintain these things.

The easiest way is to not use gasoline with ethanol in it.

PSU
breaks/break pads - which constantly wear out.

I can see why your expenses are so high. Your brakes have break pads.

PSU
breaks/break pads - which constantly wear out.

I can see why your expenses are so high. Your brakes have break pads.

Gimme a brake! ;)
*was hoping for a bit of banter regarding larger priced items*

Okay, I'll play. ;)

I'm happy to pay the premium for a Samsung TV. They're certainly at the premium end of prices, but they just look better to my eye. I justify spending a little more on a TV because I know I will use it for years to come.

On cars, I have really fallen hard for Porsche. No one needs a Porsche to get from point A to point B. But, my, they really make amazing cars. Porsche knows this, and they charge accordingly. I am not willing to pay their straight up new prices, but I have paid a smaller premium for a used one. I somewhat justify my car spending because buying and keeping a car long term (I don't do crazy annual mileage) is cheaper than frequently turning over and buying new cars. But you have to be a car nut - someone who really enjoys driving and really appreciates cars.

I could talk about guitars too. You can buy a cheap guitar for $100. A decent guitar for maybe $300. Or, the sky is the limit for nicer instruments. I have a Taylor acoustic and a Fender electric, which were much more than what you'd pay for an entry level guitar. And then there's amplifiers. You can get a small solid state amp for $100...or you can spend hundreds on a proper tube amp. I don't mind paying more for that quality, provided I can hear the difference. Again, I rationalize this as a small expense for the fun/entertainment playing music provides, and you can get years and years of playing out of them.
I thought of one:

Dyson products.

I have 2 of their canister vacs - I'm in a townhouse, and carrying one to my upstairs level is difficult. One I received as a Christmas present, the other I bought for myself. I like them so much that:

This past Christmas, as a gift, I got the Dyson blow dryer. Now instead of taking 12-15 minutes it only takes 5 minutes (literally) to blow dry my hair. It will come in handy when I wash my dog too.
so far for 2017 it's at $2,000

Make that $2,400. Today the ignition lock/tumblers failed.

Went to the grocery store and when I came out the key wouldn't turn in the ignition at all and it wasn't anything like not being fully in Park. Even grabbed 3 guys out of the grocery store and they couldn't turn it either.

So onward with replacement car research!
replacement car research

My son loves his new Subaru CrossTrek (however it's the first new car he's ever owned). He chortles that he went from the oldest car in the school staff parking lot (98 4Runner) to the newest.
Are you sure the wheel wasn't locked?

On fords you have to the steering wheel hard left and then turn the key for ignition if steering wheel locked
How long have you been able to keep the ones you bought that were 10+ years old?

5+ years
1998 Forester - purchased for $1800 in Dec 2010 (w/ 210k miles on it) and drove it 1000 miles a week for the first 8 months.
Quit driving it in @ June - needs more suspension work than I'm willing to do, now has 270k on it.

8+ years
1998 Outback (GoMC's)
purchased for $2k Nov 07 - replaced May of 2015 and sold June 2015.

3 years (and still in use)
1999 Outback (the boy's)
purchased for $1500 June 2012

@ 1 year (and still in use)
1998 outback
purchased for $2200 Feb 2015 w/70k miles on it - plan on keeping it for at least 5 more years.

Those 6+ yr old vehicles w/ 90k miles on them-
Those are the cars I buy, so thanks to everyone who is ready to dump them.

peace & YMMV
t
I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this thread.

AC *appreciated hearing people's thoughts*

It was at around 15 years that I parted with my Mustang. It needed repairs and when a significant crack appeared under the passenger seat it went away. I still miss it, but should have replaced it six months earlier before replacement became a necessity.
Any brand loyalty regarding shoes is usually because they are decent quality, I can get them to fit me, and I can find a way to buy them without tremendous hassle. I haven't seen them on sale much. It comes down to planning occasional shopping trips, bringing the credit card, and being frugal elsewhere. The last trip also involved a stop at a large fabric store on the way back.

Handbags, I'm not nearly so fussy. The latest is Mexican. It was not expensive. Never heard of the brand, but the leather is nice.