Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hello all, I'm brand new to fixed income investments after finding myself tiring of pi$$ing my money away in the equities market. I'm interested (I think) in purchasing some I bonds after listening to Brinker on Money Talk the other day. I went to Treasury Direct and see that they are offering a 6.73% rate of return as of 11/1/05. That sounds nice, but all of the posts here are talking of "down from 1.2% to 1%". What happened to 6.73%?

What is the 1% and how is that transformed into 6.73%? Where does the additional 5.73% come from?

Also, Brinker said that I bonds should be held in a personal (non tax exempt) account because there is no advantage to holding them in a tax sheltered account - I can sort of understand that. But, when referring to TIPS he was clear in stating that they should be held in a tax sheltered account. My question - why?

I don't even know if I'm asking the right questions.
Any clarification regarding these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Trying to stop the bleeding.
Thanks,
Joe Bass
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.