Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0cTz2JEbbQ

Giving voice to innocent Palestinians, harmed by America's 'best friend' and ally.

From Gaza to Paris, innocent voices must be heard - - and efforts to silence them must be rebuked.

Not my network of choice, but in this case - good on MSNBC
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Did that program discuss the unprovoked palestinian attack with a thousand rockets on Isreal?

Or was that glossed over.
No. of Recommendations: 15
Did that program discuss the unprovoked palestinian attack with a thousand rockets on Isreal?

If you can’t even spell “Israel”, don’t pretend to speak knowledgeably about it, or even pretend to know what actually happened.
No. of Recommendations: 4

Police beating up worshipers in a mosque is not provocative at all.
No. of Recommendations: 14

Or was that glossed over.

"Unprovoked"????????

Seriously?

They're evicting Arab Israeli citizens from their own homes in East Jerusalem to give to Jews.

They have been stealing land from Palestinians for decades now. Those attacks were provoked - probably deliberately by Bibi in order to hold onto his tenuous power as he keeps trying to form a government with even more right-wing "opposition."

This was DEFINITELY "provoked."

SLL
No. of Recommendations: 12

I don't know. I didn't watch the program. I do, however, try to keep up to date with my daily reading, which tends to be more based in fact than the sensational 30-second sound bites on TV that pass as 'news' nowadays.

I understand that this recent catastrophe was provoked by Israeli troops storming the Al Aqsa mosque to cut speaker wires that were broadcasting scheduled prayers celebrating Eid-al-Fitr so that the din might not be heard in the background of an Israeli political speech. Politically this is akin to troops storming St. Peter's in Rome. The Palestinians had refused to reschedule their prayers, the times of which are ordained and known years in advance. It does not appear that the Israelis seriously considered rescheduling their political speech. Instead, they sent their storm troopers barging into one of Islam's holiest sites to silence a legitimate religious ceremony.

This strikes me as a wholly unnecessary, blatantly provocative act. That the Palestinians reacted with fury is totally understandable if you have the least inkling of the volatile nature of Palestinian-Israeli relationships, social, political and economic. The Palestinians have been suffering the consequences of systematic, deliberate and casual abuse for many years, indeed, many, many decades, even generations. And when you have generated a generalized resentment to that degree festering over many years, it does not take much of a transgression to spark an explosive response.

When I lived in the Middle East, the call to prayer was a ceremony that I looked forward to every morning and late night and three times in between. You hear the melodious, discordant call to prayer echoing hauntingly and simultaneously from the minarets of a hundred scattered mosques, large and small. Any man, regardless of his own religious persuasion, with any sense of morality and respect will halt in his endeavors, and listen in wonder and look to the skies and see the face of his Maker in the vast dome overhead. For a few solemn moments every day the World itself becomes a cathedral reflecting the glories of both God and Man.

Yes, the Palestinians do fire rockets into nearby Israel. I do not condone this violence, but, to some very limited degree, I understand the anger and sense of futility that lead to such attacks. The Israelis retaliate with 155mm canon fire and fighter jets supplied by the United States as part of a four billion dollar a year military aid package. Our own defense industry profits mightily, and our politicians can bask in the glow as Defenders of Israel, culling a few more votes and political contributions.

I do not pretend to have any answers. The Israeli-Palestinian 'problem' is far, far more complex and intractable than the current discord between our right and left political factions. It is probably more on the order of the systemic racism, gun rights disputes, abortion and the white nationalism that feed our own political discord and strife.......only several orders of magnitude worse, if you can imagine that. I do know that unilaterally expanding your country's borders by force, evicting people from their rightful homes and proceeding to bulldoze those homes and their surrounding olive orchards is not the way to make friends or to attain peaceful, equitable and lasting political and moral solutions.

I believe that the United States can play a meaningful role in contributing to a more positive relationship between Arabs and Israelis. I believe that we should begin by reviewing the wisdom of our current policies towards the two parties and recognizing that our current bias towards the Israeli side is more of a hindrance than a positive contribution to any possible solutions.

Jimbo