Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
It is so past the point of argument that to argue global warming/pollution would make a Bush of yourself, see

The current rate of shrinkage they calculate at 8% per decade; at this rate there may be no ice at all during the summer of 2060.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4290340.stm

Tell that to your kids as you gas up the SUV.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
It is so past the point of argument that to argue global warming/pollution would make a Bush of yourself, see

The current rate of shrinkage they calculate at 8% per decade; at this rate there may be no ice at all during the summer of 2060.

===============================================

How will we be able to make our frozen daiquiris and margaritas without ice? ;-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4290340.stm

Tell that to your kids as you gas up the SUV.

No Ice ... no need for 4WD

Bears

How will we be able to make our frozen daiquiris and margaritas without ice? ;-)

Maybe that's the problem. We are too drunk and stupid. Bush is the President after all. A stronger argument that Americans have lost their minds could not be made. The country is turning to s___ under Bush. OTOH, the stock market looks like it is going up. Have a nice day.

Thank God we got rid of peace and prosperity. How long could we go on like tha? Alito and the other Supreme Court jokers will take care of that, http://chak.org/pages/onion/bush_nightmare.html
Ninety-nine percent of SUVs hasve never been off road--there never was any need for 4WD. "Ford Tundra," "Yukon," "Explorer," "Expedition" my a__. The only one that was named right was "the Suburban."
---------------------------

LifeForceDance: Maybe that's the problem. We are too drunk and stupid. Bush is the President after all. A stronger argument that Americans have lost their minds could not be made. The country is turning to s___ under Bush. OTOH, the stock market looks like it is going up. Have a nice day.
====================================================
====================================================

See the winking happy face at the end of my comment above? That means that it was meant as a joke. Please don't take out on supportive posters.
My Ford Explorer has never been off-road. Including a brutal snowstorm last month which my 4x4 came in handy driving motorists who were stuck in the snow to a garage to call for help.

PS: it gets 19+ mpg. not fantastic, but not worth scorn that some heap on me.
my original Jeep CJ 7 had 4 paint jobs and 1 rollover in the 7 years I owned it. Sold it when the damage from off roading got too expensive to fix and I had a welding machine.

bought an explorer in 93. heck of a nice ride, but never came close to doing what I did with my Jeep. Was afraid to break it and it would have cost a lot more to fix.

now have an Xterra. Reminds me of my CJ-7. Had the kids out in the woods behind our place last fall. They were laughing and giggling to beat the band when we would go plowing thru mudholes and bouncing down the old logging roads. And the best part, only a few minor scratches on a vehicle that was a month old at the time...

just wish they had the old style 4 wheel drive engagement system where you had to get out and turn the hubs. You knew it was going to work if you needed it...

I know you were joking and meant no offense. I was not meaning to apear to be directing the comments toward you. I was chiding the fifty-one percent who voted for the worst President in history bar none, Bush. The situation is getting bad enough with the environment that I have no sense of humor. I think our days of speculating about whether global warming is occurring are over. It is happening. Now. And coming soon to your neighborhood.
Ninety-nine percent of SUVs hasve never been off road--there never was any need for 4WD. "Ford Tundra," "Yukon," "Explorer," "Expedition" my a__. The only one that was named right was "the Suburban."

Hilarious. I hope your neck twitches everytime you see one. I'll give you a friendly wave from my Tahoe. We don't much snow in Phoenix. So, I don't really need 4WD. It does come in handy from time to time in the sticks though. Ticking people off for the audacity of having it is just a perk.
Hilarious. I hope your neck twitches everytime you see one. I'll give you a friendly wave from my Tahoe. We don't much snow in Phoenix. So, I don't really need 4WD. It does come in handy from time to time in the sticks though. Ticking people off for the audacity of having it is just a perk.

A "Tahoe" in the brown cloud that now surrounds Phoenix (the brown cloud moved from Los Angeles to Phoenix)? Funny what different people like. It was a perk for me when SUVs were paying over sixty dollars to fill their tank. Imagine my delight when it costs them two hunmdred dollars to fill up five years from now.
It was a perk for me when SUVs were paying over sixty dollars to fill their tank. Imagine my delight when it costs them two hunmdred dollars to fill up five years from now.

Chuckle all you like. You won't find a quote from me whining about gas prices. I'm a big boy. If I can't fill up the tank, I'll get another mode of transportation.

I am glad you can find some solace in your life. You be sure to chuckle and wave at all the SUV's you pass by. Somehow, I think your beef with what they drive pisses you off more than their gas bill does them. Evil bastards.
You are totally wrong. I am very capitalistic. I realize they are fools who do not realize what they are doing. That is how they could vote for Bush.
You are totally wrong. I am very capitalistic. I realize they are fools who do not realize what they are doing. That is how they could vote for Bush.

What are you talking about? You just contended you got a good chuckle when it cost them 60 bucks to fill their tanks and you'll be just giddy when it costs them 200. What am I wrong about? I pointed out that it probably doesn't bother them in the slightest, so chuckle away.

And, what does your support of capitalism have to do with whining about SUV drivers?
...what they drive pisses you off more than their gas bill does them. Evil bastards.

To end on a note of agreement, yes, you are right. They are evil bastards. Stupid too. Talk about fouling your own nest.

It was a perk for me when SUVs were paying over sixty dollars to fill their tank. Imagine my delight when it costs them two hunmdred dollars to fill up five years from now.

I am glad you are enjoying a good laugh. Don't forget to toss a few laughs towards the guy who bought a fuel effeicent car because he knew he couldn't afford to fill up an SUV and now finds himself paying a gas bill that he was trying to avoid by buying the girlie car in the first place.

Being capitalistic, I have no beef with their ownership of unarmed personell carriers. I do resent their fouling the air which then attacks the planet and other living things. Including their children.

Your post makes no sense. The guy driving a fuel efficient vehicle will have a lower bill. He may still have a difficult time paying it, but it is not as bad as if he actually owned an SUV. , I do not think someone should pay ten dollars for a gallon of gas even if they are Bill Gates. It is called healthy values. Remember those? Bush supporters do not.
The guy driving a fuel efficient vehicle will have a lower bill.

You are laughing at the SUV driver because he pays 60 bucks to fill up his tank when he used to pay 30. The small car driver is now paying 30 bucks when he used to pay 15. You are laughing at him to.

No, actually, I empathize with people who at least try to pollute less by driving more fuel efficient vehicles. Actually, I do not laugh at SUV owners since I am angry with them for not even trying to avoid destroying the planet which is just like Bush. I am not waiting for my day to laugh. I just hope we all do not end up choking on exhaust. I have no sympathy for SUV owners. They are ignorant, inconsiderate, unempathic people with no imagination trying to prove their manhood with a hunk of steel. Why is saving energy "girlie?"
I stopped commuting 70 miles round trip each day of the working week. We had our Chevy surburban for 17 years and when it came time to replace it we thought about the options for our family. We camp, we often have company. We transport a lot of sports equipment. We are active in our community as volunteers. We have a family of five and the thing barely can seat our family and one friend for each of the teens when we take trips around or even out of town.

I "commute" about 6 miles round trip every day. We looked at the prius, but it really wouldnt make much sense if we had to take a couple of cars to the same destination on a routine basis.

I think we made a responsible choice. We don't waste gas and excessively pollute on long commutes anymore. ~j
I have no sympathy for SUV owners. They are ignorant, inconsiderate, unempathic people with no imagination trying to prove their manhood with a hunk of steel. Why is saving energy "girlie?"

I see a whole lot of working poor people in old, gross polluter vehicles. Those vehicles are a lot harder on the environment than a new suv.

~just saying ~j
I see a whole lot of working poor people in old, gross polluter vehicles. Those vehicles are a lot harder on the environment than a new suv.

Poor people get a pass. They are probably ignorant too. But, they are empathic. Not sure how economic standing affects imagination and the capacity for consideration for others. But, they are poor because they are the victims of the same evil bastards that drive SUV's. Its the SUV drivers fault that poor people drive smog spewing piles of junk.

You get a pass for your SUV because you are right minded on many other topics, you considerate, imaginative, empathic, knowledgeable studdette, you.
You get a pass for your SUV because you are right minded on many other topics, you considerate, imaginative, empathic, knowledgeable studdette, you.

Wow! It feels like i just won something! woohooo!

~j

Ps... when we bought our suburban, we hoped to have it for 10 years. It totally went beyond what we had ever hoped for. We literally drove it until it caught on fire on a trip back from my Grammy's house in AZ. Rear differential leaked and caught on fire, freezing it all up. We rode back to Calif in the cab of a flatbed tow truck. Donated the poor baby to an Alzheimer's association vehicle program.

I miss my truck, but the new one is pretty great. I had my old one for so long that when we bought new, I am bragging to my friends... hey look you can control the radio from the steering wheel! You can heat your seats! It has all these cool readouts and OnStar!

Met with yawns... ya, girl... new cars have had those things for YEARS!
I plan on driving this one for the next 17 years ;-)
Actually - mine has been offroad quite a bit. Also it enable us to carry all the accessories to family life in the new millenium. Stroller, camping equipment, bike rack on the inside (cuts down on drag - aerodynamics don't ya know). And yes, it may use a little more gas, but if there is an accident I would much rather my family be in this dastardly (according to you) vehicle than the pregnant roller skate that you probably drive.

Although I have to say arguing this with someone who is fanatical about their position is akin to banging my head against the wall. So you have your opinion, and I will have mine.

For the record, do I think they should be more economical - yes I do. However, that being said.... until they are more economical & reliable, and able to take the beating of going offroad - I don't want one.

And yes, we do have a little economical car for commuting. Sadly it just can't transport anything large than a few grocery bags.
OMG - I just realized I am the wrost kind of person possible in your little world. I drive an SUV and I did not vote for Bush. Oh the betrayal!

Be happy if this is the worst of your fears. And if it isn't, then I feel bad that you get so worked up over something that you really can't effect.
I have no sympathy for SUV owners.

Who asked for your sympathy?

They are ignorant, inconsiderate, unempathic people with no imagination trying to prove their manhood with a hunk of steel.

I'm one of those ignorant people.

Bought an SUV to prove my manhood...well, except the SUV belongs to my wife...

She uses it to transport my 3 year old to school, and for her 20 minute commute to work.

We chose said SUV for two reasons...

Safety: DW and DD are number one in my life; if I can provide a vehicle that gives them maximum safety, and opportunity to survive an accident, I'm gonna do it.

Dependabiltiy: Every winter, I volunteer with my local hosptial to transport hosptial staff during inclement weather; I've never gotten stuck, never found a snow bank too high. I know the vehicle won't let my family down.

If that makes me ignorant, so be it...

Why is saving energy "girlie?"

Next time you get stuck in a ditch, a snow bank, or in the mud, ask that inconsiderate idiot that stops to offer assistance...

Chances are, he's in an SUV...

May even be me...

v/r

Michael
I stopped commuting 70 miles round trip each day of the working week.

How long did it take your boss to notice that you weren't coming to work anymore?
Your choice sounds fine. I realize there are situations where an SUV is OK.
I realize there are situations where an SUV is OK.

Such as if Arianna Huffington is in the back seat of one.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003562.htm
There are situations where SUVs are appropriate. Using an SUV for individual leisure driving is not one of them. Maybe a hybrid SUV would be nice.
There are situations where SUVs are appropriate. Using an SUV for individual leisure driving is not one of them. Maybe a hybrid SUV would be nice.

Hybrid SUVs are kind of a joke. They get marginally better fuel (according to EPA) but practically, almost none at all for the average driver.

I'm one of those few who actually uses one (I hunt, fish, camp, and ski) but I don't understand why people even like them for regular road travel or for 70k luxury cars. They're a pain in the ass to drive and parking the damn things is like putting a 747 in a private hanger.

Derek
Derek, Maybe it is like the new Toyota Prius hybrid that performs as well or better than the previous gas Prius. Manufacturers know that hybrids will not be accepted unless they perform as well or better (as the hybrid Prius does) as the old ones. I think that they believe that improved mileage will come later as they improve the technology. Their thinking is probably on target. Maybe the same thing will happen with SUVs...One step at a time...