Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
brief I said, it's never brief...

I wrote:
I get the feeling that some can't people me painting the issue in shades of grey.

D'oh - some people can't handle me painting the issue in shades of grey - as in America's recent historical record on human rights and related issues is on the whole very poor, even while acknowledging the good that might be done. Just as the UK was the most benevolent and enlightened of the colonising powers, it was still a colonising and exploiting and often brutal power, the same as the (more brutal) Portuguese and Ottomans and ancient Rome, and Mesopotamia.

jono202:
"The US IMO has done many more good things than bad.
Bin laden has done many more bad things than good.
You don't seem to understand that fact<snip>

That's ridiculous. As in it's obviously true, but ridiculous in that you can't use that to put the US beyond criticism and factual analysis.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.