Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
minor, and only in a fwiw

I've decided to revive my retail coverage

just kinda feel like I've taken a primary advantage developed and refined over a long period of time and essentially tossed it aside

there is some risk here in time allocation and all, but oddly enough I don't think the time issue is that problematic given the speed at which I can do multiple companies in a day, and I know what I'm looking for; the bigger problem is whether these things can actually justify a large investment to make it all worthwhile, but again - I don't think this is a major issue in the broader picture because one or two ideas could make up all the difference

I was reading a VIC profile on a spin-off that I own (purely a dink) and it struck me how much they knew about one of my holdings and how little I did. And the nature of the business was that their 'edge' was superior to mine, with superior information and superior resources. Now, I'm not entirely sure that this edge will translate into better results for them (template investing works, and success in ideas is not proportional to the time spent in research; in my experience, good ideas are fairly obvious up-front but I tend not to like making a bunch of assumptions cause I'm more simplistic), but I felt entirely inadequate.

Plus, on the whole, i believe that I own a bit too many names where I have less than ZERO edge. Granted, I am kinda hoping for a soft market now, because I switched out of these prior things into other stuff cause, in a word, the other stuff would go up. A soft market would help (soft the way I define things - I'd love to own SaSS models but just can't bring myself to do so with any conviction).

finally, I don't think amazon will kill everything. Hurt some stuff, and I'll be focusing on CapEx allocation as likely my single most important metric, but it won't kill everything.

anyway...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.