Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
BRK portfolio up $3.5 BB today.

BRK Stock down over $4 BB.

This will correct itself.
Print the post Back To Top
There were many days, weeks, and months when Berkshire Hathaway stock was underperforming pets.com stock.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Pretty much everything on my screen including XLF and the banks are up but Berkshire is the lone red and down almost 1%. I know this is short term noise but this weakness is a bit surprising since such isolated weakness is usually accompanied by weakness in XLF or some news.

Today, BRK.B, INTC, and VZ are down for the day (so far).
ROIC, BNS, and five precious metals related companies are up for the day.

ROIC is up 7.61% for the day. OTOH, since I bought it, ROIC is down 43.18%

I find the daily changes in prices amusing, but seldom useful.
I have some BRK I purchased about 25 months ago. I probably overpaid. That investment is down over 8% while SPY is up over 12%, not including dividends. :(

John
No. of Recommendations: 7
I have some BRK I purchased about 25 months ago. I probably overpaid. That investment is down over 8% while SPY is up over 12%, not including dividends. :(

That's gotta hurt.
Of course most of us have owned Berkshire these last 25 months, so you're not alone.

Spend a few moments to try to calculate what the value of Berkshire share is now compared to when you bought it. It will be higher.
Think about how much the S&P has gone up in value, too. A harder thing to evaluation, but not impossible.
I suspect you'd conclude it hasn't gone up in a value any more than Berkshire has.

Price changes that exceed value changes are ephemeral.

Jim
No. of Recommendations: 5
I hate to say this but Berkshire has been surprisingly weak relative to S&P 500 index for 15+ years. So welcome to the club.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Don't worry it's massively undervalued and will go up soon.

Also the S&P is massively overvalued and will go down soon.
No. of Recommendations: 11

Berkshire repurchased shares at higher prices than you paid, so don't be hard on yourself.

I bought my first Berkshire shares in January 1999. I seriously overpaid. That year, Berkshire went down 22% and the S&P500 went up 20%. As of last Friday, those Berkshire shares have beaten the S&P500 (SPY) over those 21 years.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have been buying BRK at prices between 171-174ish for most of this year. And now it’s 180ish. I know I should buy more (It’s still cheap) but i am finding its extremely difficult personally to buy at higher price.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been buying BRK at prices between 171-174ish for most of this year. And now it’s 180ish. I know I should buy more (It’s still cheap) but i am finding its extremely difficult personally to buy at higher price.

According to my broker, I averaged into my BRK.B position @$19.70. I never figured it out, but most of the shares were bought before the 50:1 split.
BRK portfolio up $3.5 BB today.

BRK Stock down over $4 BB.

This will correct itself.
No. of Recommendations: 7
AdrianC you warm my heart! As is always the case we do have a choice on when we buy. And if we choose wisely we rarely need to play the grievance game.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Pretty much everything on my screen including XLF and the banks are up but Berkshire is the lone red and down almost 1%. I know this is short term noise but this weakness is a bit surprising since such isolated weakness is usually accompanied by weakness in XLF or some news.

When will Abel succeed Buffett? Don't know.
When will T&T get meaningful (compared to Buffett's) portfolios? Don't know.
How well do individual subsidiaries do? Don't know.
Will the board finally show the nonagenarian chairman the door when the time comes? Don't know.
(Will they have the courage to dissuade him from committing costly mistakes like buying airlines? That I know.)
Should a motley conglomerate of financials, rail and utilities; plus a sub-par portfolio of "value" stocks like Coke, AXP and Apple get a P/B above one? Don't know.

There is uncertainty in valuing all stocks. For Berkshire, it's not the competition or the growth rate or other objective-ish criteria, which you can make reasonable assumptions about. It's the completely unpredictable trajectory of the management.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I can't believe everyone is whining about Berkshire Hathaway stock. Come on, at least you don't own stock in the car rental company famous for the "Not Exactly" ad campaign and the endorsement of a certain football player who became a murderer. :)