No. of Recommendations: 0
I currently have my Roth IRA in two different mutual funds, and am planning on moving this to a discount brokerage in the near future, to try and improve my return. I want to know how to handle the brokerage fees.

As an example, let's say I want to make my 1999 contribution of $2000 by purchasing some stock, and the fee for the trade will be $12. Do I contribute $2012, which gives me $2000 worth of stock for 1999, or can I only contribute $2000, which gets me $1988 worth of stock?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I am a new Fool, still tryin' to learn.

Thanks for the help!

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.