No. of Recommendations: 13
brucedoe-

i am starting to think that the whole social security discussion is a smokescreen to dismantle it. since when has the government cared about ANYTHING 40 years in the future? i can't think of a single example like that ever before, and it makes me immediately suspicious why this issue has clearly been picked as the number one thing this admin must tackle in this term. it makes no sense.

the numbers that i have seen indicate i may be able to save $1000 per year into a private account. to that i say, so what? why are the rich obsessing over this? that amount is a rounding error to a large constituency interested in this plan.

so few take full advantage of the current IRA offerings that i hardly see the point of this, which is a mandated payroll confiscation plan to boot. i would think the conservative party woul be against such mandated contributions, leading me to think that the real goal is to get rid of the program rather than "fix" it. and the private accounts is a political sell-able middle road approach toward getting rid of it. surreptitiously, they are framing the debate such that this money belongs to the people contributing it, which is somewhat untrue if you look at SS as an insurance program. but by having a private account, people then claim ownserhip of that money, and once people get a statement with a "balance" on it, the psychological grip is complete.

i harbor a lot of disrespect for people that obfuscate their intentions. the $1000 per year in private accounts is meaningless for me, and the people who need the most help couldn't afford to contribute that much, so what's in it for them? let's just dismantle it if people no longer feel that their is a social benefit to this type of insurance program, but consider that every family probably has somebody in it - an elderly retiree who is poor, or someone disable, who has needed this program at some point or another, and private accounts would have done little to help those people.

why are the wealthy so into this reform? the payroll taxes are capped at $90k, so it's actually a regressive form of taxation. you'd think that they would like that.

-hack
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.