Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
BruceM:"The other thing I don't like about the on-line calculators is the assumption seems to be that the IRA owner is going to withdraw the RMD, go out and spend it and not have it anymore. For the vast majority, unless they designed the RMD to time household cash flow need....the RMD is not a household cash flow event, but is only a tax event. So projecting out the RMD amount is a useful tool to project your growing tax bill as you age. "

All depends how much money is in your IRA.

In my case, I only had 10 years to contribute to a 401K plan before I retired so I didn't accumulate a lot of bucks in it. Didn't touch it for 17 years after I retired early.

It only provides a portion of my annual spending needs. Add in SS and teeny pension, and that covers my basic living expenses and some fun money. There is no giant excess money flowing from it.

For many boomers, I suspect not all will likely spend what is in their RMD......and more from their non-tax deferred stock accounts. Not all boomers will stash it all in tax deferred vehicles.

We'll see....

If I had worked till 65, it would probably be double in value..... but still even with RMD, less than 4% of my net worth which I should be taking but don't come close to doing so......

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.