Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
BTW: ...

LAPropDoc said, in explaining this phenomenon, As I see it, there are two types of communities here on the Fool. Social and Investment. One makes you think, the other makes you money. Neither is inheritantly better than the other. That must mean that the members of the MI community have made a mint on their investments, while most investors have watched their portfolios drip red as the bottom line spiraled downward.

I, for one, would be interested in knowing what percentage gain individual members of the MI community have made on their Total % Return since they embraced that particular investment strategy. With a powerful enough incentive, even the most mathematically challenged of us can learn to appreciate and work with the requisite numbers.

Sorry posted too soon :(

Began mechanical investing 12/31/97 - Total return since then thru this evening:

S&P 500 (excluding dividends) +18.11%
My "MI" Portfolio +56.53%
My "non-MI" Portfolio +.58%
My "total" protfolio +34.15%

All percentages are total return since 12/31/97 NOT CAGR.

As you can see, I really know how to pick'em on my own...that's why I'm in MI for the majority of my funds.

Some have done better in MI - Some have done worse...Just my results.
I'm not a major contributor, or mathematician, or statistician, or any kind of ..ian - just one of the "thousands" (you give us far too much credit!) over on that other board. Anybody can do it - but it does take significant time (no free lunch here either) to understand the basics, find a strategy that works for you, and and build confidence and the commitment to actually jump in.

BB

gritton rules! :)
<return to lurk>
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.