Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
At a gig last night, I received a bottle of Buchanan's scotch for Xmas. Problem was, nobody could open the damn thing. Instead of a cork, when you unscrewed the cap, underneath there was some kind of clear plastic spout or something fixed into the glass bottle. It resembled a shot pourer like you see bartenders use, but damned if anyone could figure out how to open or remove it. We upended the bottle, but nothing came out. It wouldn't unscrew or pull out. The screw-on cap couldn't be used to remove it. We took the tine of a fork and hammered it into the opening thinking there was a seal that needed breaking, but that didn't work. It was a solid layer of plastic. This went on for 20 minutes.

Finally one guy grabbed the bottle and took it to a bartender in the next room. Bartender was completely stumped. He'd never seen anything like it. He hammered at it, and sawed around the edges with a knife, and finally grabbed a corkscrew. He was able to drill the thing through the opening and down into the plastic inside, and pulled with all his strength and finally the entire assembly (2 inches deep) came out. It was apparently not intended to come out, because all that was left was the glass spout, and there was no way to seal the bottle. Interestingly, there was some kind of glass ball bearing or pea-sized marble inside the assembly. I don't know if it was supposed to be there or not, and I didn't get that good a look at it. At any rate, the bartender gave us a wine cork to stop the bottle with. I poured the stuff into a glass decanter when I got home.

I suspect the glass marble wasn't supposed to be inside the little spout assembly, and was blocking the flow of liquid. Anyone know how to contact James Buchanan and Co?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.