Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
Yes, more developments about in the wonderful world of Fred The Illegal Builder!

I had some time this morning between dropping of the Ducklings and a doctor appointment, so I headed to the courthouse just to check up on the open civil and criminal cases of Fred.

The list of cases:

Civil:
1) Drywall contractor VS Fred - Jury trial 11/7 (Drywall contractor not paid by Fred)
2) Builder whose license number was used by Fred - Pre-trial hearing 10/24 (Builder did work for Fred previously and was also not paid)
3) Fred VS his mortgage company - Civil Motion 10/1 (Fred claims they're trying to screw HIM for his house)

Criminal:
1) The state VS Fred - Pretrial 10/2, Charges (A) Not paying into state builders fund and (b) Lying regarding sworn statements.
2) The state VS Fred - ***WARRANT OUT FOR HIS ARREST!*** Charges (A) Operating while Intoxicated 3RD OFFENSE and (b) Driving with suspended/revoked licensed.

I spoke to a clerk about the #2 Criminal bit.

"What does that ***WARRANT*** in BIG RED LETTERS mean there on the computer screen?"
The cleark replied, "It means there's a warrant out for his arrest, he's wanted."
"But what if I know where he lives?"
"Well.....", the clerk shrugged her shoulders as there are signs plastered ALL OVER the records room, "CLERKS CANNOT DISPENSE LEGAL ADVICE!". Okay.

I go to my Doc appointment, but that goes nowhere (Doc doesn't show UP!), so I go home.

I call the county sheriff's office (not 911, just the low priority number) and speak to a detective. Detective Myrna (the names were changed to protect the silly...).

DM: Can I help you?
Duck: Yes, I was at the county courthouse looking at records regarding an individual and noticed he has a criminal case in which he has a WARRANT out for his arrest. I know where this individual lives.
DM: Where's that?
Duck: About 150 feet from my house.
DM: Ummm...I mean what address are you at?
Duck: 790 Xxxx Road.
DM: Where is he? Is he doing work on your house?
Duck: No, he was a person that DID work on my house, but he happens to live 150 feet from me at 710 Xxxx Road.
DM: Is he there now?
Duck: Let me go over to the window and check. Yup. His truck is still there. Actually he's there every night, that's his home.
DM: Is there any problem right now?
Duck: No, but I'm mostly wanting to know if I'm doing the right thing, considering you guys have a warrant out for his arrest and I'm reporting it to you. Am I not correct?
DM: What's his name?
Duck: Fred Xxxxxxxx.
DM: Date of Birth?
Duck: August 4, 195x. (I happened to jot it down when I was at the courthouse and saw it appear in a court record. Good thing!)
DM: This is Yyyyy Township, right?
Duck: Yup.
DM: I'll be looking into this and we may have a sheriff's deputy over to check this out.
Duck: THANKS!!!

Now I'll sit back and watch the fireworks. The main phone number to the courthouse also has a line to check if someone is in jail or not. I can call later, but I also got the detective's name so I can call back and more easily refer to the case, if they haven't nailed Fred soon.

Duck
...(Revenge is served best on a cold, paper plate.)...

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.