Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
Yes, more developments about in the wonderful world of Fred The Illegal Builder!

I had some time this morning between dropping of the Ducklings and a doctor appointment, so I headed to the courthouse just to check up on the open civil and criminal cases of Fred.

The list of cases:

Civil:
1) Drywall contractor VS Fred - Jury trial 11/7 (Drywall contractor not paid by Fred)
2) Builder whose license number was used by Fred - Pre-trial hearing 10/24 (Builder did work for Fred previously and was also not paid)
3) Fred VS his mortgage company - Civil Motion 10/1 (Fred claims they're trying to screw HIM for his house)

Criminal:
1) The state VS Fred - Pretrial 10/2, Charges (A) Not paying into state builders fund and (b) Lying regarding sworn statements.
2) The state VS Fred - ***WARRANT OUT FOR HIS ARREST!*** Charges (A) Operating while Intoxicated 3RD OFFENSE and (b) Driving with suspended/revoked licensed.

I spoke to a clerk about the #2 Criminal bit.

"What does that ***WARRANT*** in BIG RED LETTERS mean there on the computer screen?"
The cleark replied, "It means there's a warrant out for his arrest, he's wanted."
"But what if I know where he lives?"
"Well.....", the clerk shrugged her shoulders as there are signs plastered ALL OVER the records room, "CLERKS CANNOT DISPENSE LEGAL ADVICE!". Okay.

I go to my Doc appointment, but that goes nowhere (Doc doesn't show UP!), so I go home.

I call the county sheriff's office (not 911, just the low priority number) and speak to a detective. Detective Myrna (the names were changed to protect the silly...).

DM: Can I help you?
Duck: Yes, I was at the county courthouse looking at records regarding an individual and noticed he has a criminal case in which he has a WARRANT out for his arrest. I know where this individual lives.
DM: Where's that?
Duck: About 150 feet from my house.
DM: Ummm...I mean what address are you at?
Duck: 790 Xxxx Road.
DM: Where is he? Is he doing work on your house?
Duck: No, he was a person that DID work on my house, but he happens to live 150 feet from me at 710 Xxxx Road.
DM: Is he there now?
Duck: Let me go over to the window and check. Yup. His truck is still there. Actually he's there every night, that's his home.
DM: Is there any problem right now?
Duck: No, but I'm mostly wanting to know if I'm doing the right thing, considering you guys have a warrant out for his arrest and I'm reporting it to you. Am I not correct?
DM: What's his name?
Duck: Fred Xxxxxxxx.
DM: Date of Birth?
Duck: August 4, 195x. (I happened to jot it down when I was at the courthouse and saw it appear in a court record. Good thing!)
DM: This is Yyyyy Township, right?
Duck: Yup.
DM: I'll be looking into this and we may have a sheriff's deputy over to check this out.
Duck: THANKS!!!

Now I'll sit back and watch the fireworks. The main phone number to the courthouse also has a line to check if someone is in jail or not. I can call later, but I also got the detective's name so I can call back and more easily refer to the case, if they haven't nailed Fred soon.

Duck
...(Revenge is served best on a cold, paper plate.)...

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
It looks good that you're going to get all your Escrow money back. If he is in jail for the next 5-10 years, he can't provide the contractually agreed work on your house. Of course, if he was ever going to provide that work before hell froze over was in question.
No. of Recommendations: 8
Duck:

Your continuing report on the case of the builder , while it may be interesting to read, makes me wonder about your own personal delight about seeing another individual's misfortune. Please don't get me wrong. I believe those who break the law should be prosecuted.

BUT, I think you should realize what it is doing to you.

If a member of your close family had a run-in with the law or one of your children got into trouble(it happens to the best of us) would you act the same way? OR, would you appreciate a little compassion as you suffered through the ordeal.

Enough is enough. Drop it! Better examine your motives, Duck.
No. of Recommendations: 90
If a member of your close family had a run-in with the law or one of your children got into trouble(it happens to the best of us) would you act the same way? OR, would you appreciate a little compassion as you suffered through the ordeal.
Enough is enough. Drop it! Better examine your motives, Duck.

Excuse me?!?!?!

This useless excuse of a human being has SIX PAGES of Civil court actions and THREE PAGES of Criminal Court actions.

He has had THREE restraining orders on him (PERSONAL PROTECTION ORDERS), has been arrested for STALKING TWICE, has had one case of MALICIOUS DESTRUCTION TO PROPERTY.

He has had his builder's license in this state AT LEAST SIX TIMES.

HE has also been charged and convicted twice with two CRUELTY TO ANIMAL CITATIONS.

In his open civil cases, Fred has not paid $50,000 to two contractors. In his closed cases, he has (per our lawyer) swindled at least $600,000 of goods and services from individuals, from individual laborers, TWO multinational home supply companies, two lumber companies, and one major utility.

He has had at least six concurrent lawsuits running each year since 1990.

He's managed to avoid jail this whole time, according to our lawyer (who is also the lawyer that has represented two of Fred's other victims).

Ordeal? My next-door neighbors are out $170,000 in both services Fred never performed plus legal fees in going after Fred. My neighbors HAD the ordeal. Fred's been living TOO easy.

Compassion my @$$! I hope he rots in hell.

Furiously yours.

Duck.
No. of Recommendations: 1
He has had his builder's license in this state AT LEAST SIX TIMES.

Whoops. Should read:

He has had his builder's license in this state REVOKED AT LEAST SIX TIMES.

That's what I meant.

Can't type right when I'm all p*ssed off.

Duck
No. of Recommendations: 6
----
Excuse me, but are you nuts?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hey, Duck -

Hope you get to watch Fred rot in jail. But keep your head down, in case he decides to go out in a blaze of glory when They come for him. Sounds more than a bit unstable, and I sure wouldn't want him to know it was you who turned him in... --FY
No. of Recommendations: 12

It's one thing to have a run-in with the law... another to be taunting the law and having the man delight in causing grief to dozens of others. No, some people deserve all that they get and then some... and the good people of the world derive a great deal of satisfaction from seeing them get their come-uppance.

I'm not even involved, and I'm thrilled to hear that the jerk is finally having his past catch up with him.

----

please add below (I accidentally submitted due to extreme astonishment)

Have you actually read anything the Duck has wrote about this guy? I have an extremely hard time imagining your scenario - or anyone taking Duck to task for not having enough compassion for this slimebags "ordeal".

I can muster a certain amount of compassion for a human being so obviously and extremely broken - but from a distance, after he's safely in jail where he can't hurt more people.
But keep your head down, in case he decides to go out in a blaze of glory when They come for him. Sounds more than a bit unstable, and I sure wouldn't want him to know it was you who turned him in...

Out of all the enemies Fred has, I'm probably the LAST on his list (in his mind) that could rat on him. My neighbors LOST a case against him (they're the ones that lost $170,000), two contractors have OPEN suits, he's got an "unofficially" large number of individual laborers who he hasn't paid (they've stopped by our house and asked where Fred is), so he's got more angrier enemies than us that he'd figure would rat on him.

I'm just hoping we can stop him (get enough jail time in him) to clear out the escrow and prevent him from launching any kind of retaliatory suit, as he has against almost everyone else that's sued him.

Suxk

Nice balloons, Argyle...

Happy Foolday!

Draggon
- wondering if you'll ever give me the chance to kick your butt in Warcraft again... ;)
I'm just hoping we can stop him (get enough jail time in him) to clear out the escrow and prevent him from launching any kind of retaliatory suit, as he has against almost everyone else that's sued him.

Good luck, Duck.

I hope this saga is coming to an end. It must have been extremely stressful over the last year or two dealing with this piece of shite.

Ben
No. of Recommendations: 4
nutsandbolts - I think Duck is giving us some much needed comic relief. Would you have made the same argument if Fred was a muderer? I doubt it. The crime may not be as brutal as other crimes, but it's still a crime that this guy has obviously REPEATEDLY committed, over and over and over and OVER again (and then there are the civil issues that go on and on). The guy is an idiot and he should be in jail. Personally I think it's very amusing, and based on the # of recs, lots of other peole do to. Let's leave Duck alone and not pick on him for posting these stories. Geez, reading through the whole series, I think Duck has been more than co-operative with this lunatic criminal.

Now is the time to enjoy seeing the guy nailed to the wall for all the hell he's put people through.

Fred could have killed somebody OR AN ENTIRE FAMILY when he was driving drunk each of the 3 TIMES HE GOT CAUGHT (and how many OTHER times were there?)

I could go on and on. I'm enjoying the thread. Enough said.
based on the # of recs

I have to admit I'm a little curious how a post on this board can get more recs than there are participants on the board.
No. of Recommendations: 4
>>I have to admit I'm a little curious how a post on this board can get more recs than there are participants on the board.<<

Some of us lurk?

Kath
guessing
>>I have to admit I'm a little curious how a post on this board can get more recs than there are participants on the board.<<

Some of us lurk?

Guess you aren't just lurking anymore ;-)

Still, the number of recs seems much higher than I would guess the total number of posters and lurkers to be.
Still, the number of recs seems much higher than I would guess the total number of posters and lurkers to be.

It made the "Best of" listing and stays there for 24 hours. That puts it in front of a whole new gaggle of Fools that will read and rec. Lots of Fools rec everthing they read regardless of its worth. If you don't believe me take a ride on the PA board.

Bullpug
Duck,

Thanks for keeping us up to date on the builder from hell. I'd be very surprised if you ever actually managed to get any money back from him, but lets hope that he finally gets what he deserves - jail time! As someone who has also been through some contractor hell, I really enjoy your posts.

Mike
I received a little bit of an update, my neighbor attended the arraignment yesterday (on fraud). Supposedly he IS going to give himself up at 10AM this morning.

I'm going to call the PA later and find out for sure if anything happened.

DUck

Civil:
1) Drywall contractor VS Fred - Jury trial 11/7 (Drywall contractor not paid by Fred)
2) Builder whose license number was used by Fred - Pre-trial hearing 10/24 (Builder did work for Fred previously and was also not paid)
3) Fred VS his mortgage company - Civil Motion 10/1 (Fred claims they're trying to screw HIM for his house)

Criminal:
1) The state VS Fred - Pretrial 10/2, Charges (A) Not paying into state builders fund and (b) Lying regarding sworn statements.
2) The state VS Fred - ***WARRANT OUT FOR HIS ARREST!*** Charges (A) Operating while Intoxicated 3RD OFFENSE and (b) Driving with suspended/revoked licensed.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

O.K. you have now done some research on the guy - but I have to wonder - did you do any BEFORE hiring him?

L
O.K. you have now done some research on the guy - but I have to wonder - did you do any BEFORE hiring him?

You haven't followed my whole story. Yes, some of this is MrsDuck's fault.

Duck
Now I'll sit back and watch the fireworks. The main phone number to the courthouse also has a line to check if someone is in jail or not. I can call later, but I also got the detective's name so I can call back and more easily refer to the case, if they haven't nailed Fred soon.

You'll probably wait a long time for the guy to get arrested on a warrant from a DWI if the Sherriff's Department where you are has the same backlog as the one where I am. I live in the South, so the County Sherriff has a bit broader responsibilities than up North, however there was a recent article in our local paper about the section of our Sherriff's department that serves warrants.

The problem they have is there is a backlog of thousands upon thousands of warrants for major and minor items and only so many deputies to serve them. So, they prioritize the warrants - criminals that are a danger to the community get arrested first, such as murderers, child molesters and such. Then they work their way down. If they are going to be in a certain neighborhood, they'll try to serve all the warrants in that area to get them out of the way. However, if the person isn't home, it means another trip. They generally don't spend a lot of time trying to track down a person, unless he or she is a danger to the community.

Your builder probably will only get arrested when he is pulled over for a traffic violation. Otherwise he will be around for a while.

I can tell you similiar stories about slimeballs that pull the same type of stuff down here. They seem to keep one step ahead of everybody - lawyers, local regulators, the courts, the police. They will open businesses under different names, somehow get customers, and somehow get financing. It's frustrating to a business person like myself when I've had to struggle to get one business going, sweat my cash flow, my credit, and so on...

Fortunately, the wheels of the system do grind these guys down eventually. Then someone else comes up, which is a good reason for any buyer to beware, no matter how regulated your state is.

BCF
So, if it has an external antenna, remove or shorten it?

Reminds me of something I read somewhere:
"the woman, she beguiled me"

;-)
Oops, that should have been:
--------------------------
Yes, some of this is MrsDuck's fault.

;-)

--------------------------

Guess you can tell it's Monday morning;-)

Technically, it was everyone's fault. I placed a lot of blame on MrsDuck because SHE really (violated #1 of buying anything) really loved the house. I was unable to provide a reasonable alternative as we were running out of time to find a house to move to (we were relocating for MrsDuck's job). She also jumped on it because it was at the stage where WE could have all the custom stuff put in, trim, cabinets, custom countertops, carpeting, wood floors. So we'd get all the features that we wanted without buying an entirely new house from the ground up. (This house was 90% complete when we first saw it and made an offer.)

So we figured as long as the house passed our inspector's inspection and didn't have any serious problems, we'd be okay.

I really wasn't too fond of the deal because even with the escrows we had in place, I couldn't get a a guarantee that the house would be complete by a set date. We had the escrows set up so that Fred would not receive money if things weren't done, but everyone overruled me in adding a stipulation to put in a penalty clause for each day that the house was "late". So I didn't get what I wanted. Sure enough, I ended up with an incomplete house and a possible litigious @$$hole ready to threaten me with a lawsuit at any time.

But I did tell MrsDuck that I will pick the house next time....

Duck