Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
You Fools!

I've been looking all over the net for anything negative about Tycom. The only negative is the dilution of the float from lockup expiration.

Ever check out their site? Everyone is uptight about bandwidth gluts, and treating Tycom like it's some kind of telecom outfit. I looked at their products and services and came to the conclusion that fiber optic cable is just another big fat wire that these guys string around the world. They have lot's of other kinds of wires that they design, install and maintain.

http://www.submarinesystems.com/

Tycom's balance sheet looks ok to me, and they have a very strong parent in Tyco. The stock's fundies look good to me. With a forward P.E. of about 14, and they're only trading at 2 1/2 times book value. of Tycom has visibility with respect to it's operations. You don't operate a fleet of ships without planning years in advance.

If you check their balance sheet and run some ratios you see... Data is for year ended December 2000

http://investor.tycomltd.com/visitors/edgar-get.cfm?document=1108511/0000950130-01-000775&CompanyID=TCM

<u>Measures of Value</u>
Book Value Per Share: 4.32
Price: $10.48
Price/Book: 2.42

<u>Liquidity</u>
Acid Test: 2.27
Quick Ratio: 2.42

<u>Debt</u>
Debt to Equity: .29

The scan I used to find TCM was companies that were profitable, and had moderate debt. The way I figured it, rolling over the debt would go right to the income statment. These are the kind of companies that weather economic swings. If the men and women who crew these ships, and run this company folded like the weenies selling our stock, the world would be in pretty sad shape.

I'd be pretty outta my mind right now if I were short TCM. Heck if I were short anything.

ehh!
Are we bulls?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.