No. of Recommendations: 0
Burghy, thanks! I knew I was wrong when I said a 12% increase but I don't know any of Walmart's numbers. Also, I failed to remember that the $1B cost would be an above the line cost and wouldn't come off the bottom line.

So just so we're all clear here, before we go on to further discussions on this, for Walmart to raise an extra $1B before tax they only need to raise their prices about 0.5%.

Ok, that makes more sense and is probably doable without losing customers. Now, let's wait and see if I (or others) can get some reasonable costs for a plan of this size.

Some problems with my estimate of $50-100 per month are:

1 - It's under the less expensive Canadian system
2 - It's for a small business so probably costs too much
3 - It assumes a 50-50 split between employer and employee
4 - It's for a small business so the overhead to run it is negligible
5 - It's in Canadian dollars

So, let's see what the numbers come in at and then see how much this would cost Walmart. If someone can get some numbers on full-time / part-time staffing that would be great. I would make the following assumptions when we go to work out costs (there is no basis behind this so feel free to research and come up with better numbers):

1 - 80% of full time staff will need insurance (50% family and 50% single)
2 - 30% of part timers will need insurance (again let's split 50-50)

If anyone would like to propose other numbers, or even better a high and low end set of numbers, this would be appreciated. I'll report back once I get some estimates from my friend who used to be in the insurance business.

Simon
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.