Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My heart just stopped.

Last year, Hubby and I ended up owing about $500 because I diddled our W4 forms, based in TurboTax advice, to reduce withholdings, because we itemize.

Having been burned by that experience, we immediately filed new W4 forms with our employers claiming to withhold at higher single rate, and zero exemptions. (Can I be absolutely certain that they actually implemented that? Umm... well... No.)

In any case, it didn't work. TurboTax is telling me we still owe about $2500!! AGI is $119.5K, taxable income is 95.6K Witholdings were 18.7K.

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN???? What if we didn't have all that mortgage interest to deduct?

AND HOW IS AN ORDINARY MORTAL SUPPOSED TO KNOW THIS TRAIN IS COMING AT THEM?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.