Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Burner5's question: "Can someone please tell me the difference between buying shares of VIA and VIAb? I have heard that one is a "preferred share" (I think that is VIAb, right?), but they both cost about the same, and both prices seem to fluctuate together. So, wouldn't buying VIA be the same as buying VIAb?"

Actually, the preferred stock is VIA, not VIAb. The primary difference is that holding shares of VIA gives the shareholder voting rights, while shareholders of VIA B have no voting rights for things like electing the board of directors, etc.

In the past, the Redstone family wanted to maintain control of the company while at the same time generating cash through additional stock offerings to the public. Solution? Create a second stock, VIA B, that can be sold to the public (generating cash)without extending any control (through voting rights) over company direction.

As the Redstone family controls over 50% of the VIA or voting shares, there is no value to common stockholders to buy that stock, since they will never be able to influence the agenda at the annual shareholders meeting.

carthage
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.