Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I was very shocked to hear Bush II is in favor of a law forcing to limit the period of time infringement lawsuits by brand name manufacturers against generic makers to 30 months.

"To make generic, cheaper drugs avaiable sooner to Americans."

I only know of a handful of litigation that's gone on or longer; Sandoz's Fiorinal, DuPont's Coumadin, Wyeth's Premarin, perhaps a few others. In the case of Fiorinal, I WAS rather peeved spending a fortune for a simple drug (ASA, caffeine, codeine phosphate, butalbital).

Besides, the whole thing sounds like a crock.

If anyone is really serious about lowering drug prices, how about start by giving the original developing companies a real 7 years to use their patent-protected time, starting when the first dose rolls out of production for clinical use?? Which everybody knows isn't the way it works.

Reduce time to gain ROI and profit after ROI, price goes up. No brainer.

Is this guy really a Republican?

I wonder what would happen to brand name drug prices if a longer, guaranteed exclusive patent were granted? Bet they'd drop...

And what would a legitimate infringement suit consist of, what grounds? Apart from using improperly obtained trade secrets, or patent infringement outright, (i.e., prior to the expiry of the original manufacturer's legal patents)?

RSH.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.