Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

For a number of years I have been doing Schedule C work in addition to my W2 job. I maintain a home office for the Schedule C work and have used the mileage method to track and expense my travel to clients for this work.

This year I bought myself a toy. Actually a motorcycle. I was wondering if I could use the same mileage deduction if I use the bike for travel to clients. I've reviewed publication 463 regarding car expenses and I can't find any reference except one that leads me to believe I can not. They define car as having four wheels.

So the question is: Can I deduct expenses for the motorcycle if I use it for legitimate transportation performing work?

Any help is appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.