Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well I guess I can't contain my excitement for having made it to this board. It has gotten me thinking about all the books that I've read and what I would recommend to people. One classic that I was just thinking about is "Frankenstein". This is truly a great book, and one I think everyone should read. If all you know is the movie version you will be quite surprised by it, although some of the recent film adaptations have been much closer to the book. Another book that I loved is by Roger Zelazny and is called "A Night in the Lonesome October". It's a quick read, but one I couldn't put down.

Mark
Print the post Back To Top
Another book that I loved is by Roger Zelazny and is called "A Night in the Lonesome October". It's a quick read, but one I couldn't put down.

Narrated by Jack the Ripper's dog? This was a fun work. I got it as an audiobook, narrated by the author(!). Fun to listen to. His voice is not what I expected. My favorite Zelazny remains Lord of Light, followed by Doorways in the Sand and many of the short stories. Oh yeah, and the John D. MacDonald homage "Hangman" stories.
Narrated by Jack the Ripper's dog? This was a fun work. I got it as an audiobook, narrated by the author(!). Fun to listen to. His voice is not what I expected. My favorite Zelazny remains Lord of Light, followed by Doorways in the Sand and many of the short stories. Oh yeah, and the John D. MacDonald homage "Hangman" stories.

Yep that is the one. I thought it was very interesting to have the book from the point of view of the pets of all the characters.

Mark
Another book that I loved is by Roger Zelazny and is called "A Night in the Lonesome October". It's a quick read, but one I couldn't put down.

Read it, loved it. There's a great interview out there somewhere in which he discusses how he came up with the premise.

Zelazny was such a talent. Sigh. The Chronicles of Amber are in the top 10 best fantasy/SF series of all time.

Hmmm, what else would be on that list? Obviously Lord of the Rings and the Foundation books.

-mapletree
Zelazny was such a talent. Sigh. The Chronicles of Amber are in the top 10 best fantasy/SF series of all time.

Hmmm, what else would be on that list? Obviously Lord of the Rings and the Foundation books.

-mapletree

I need to read the Amber books. I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't really like Lord of the Rings. I guess I found them to dry, although I read them a long time ago and should give them another shot. I much preferred Raymond Feist's original Riftwar novels. I also haven't read any of the Foundation stuff.

Mark
...the top 10 best fantasy/SF series of all time. Hmmm, what else would be on that list?

Donaldson's first Thomas Covenant series. Even with the laborious over-writing.
I need to read the Amber books. I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't really like Lord of the Rings. I guess I found them to dry, although I read them a long time ago and should give them another shot. I much preferred Raymond Feist's original Riftwar novels. I also haven't read any of the Foundation stuff.

The Foundation series is classic SF of its' period. If you like that kind of stuff, you will like it.

A lot of people don't like LOTR. I find that those who do have a high tolerance for archaic language. If you like fantasy, and you like Jane Austen, then you will like LOTR. Otherwise it's a crap shoot. Of course the story is just wonderful. My DH can't get through the books but has really enjoyed the various animated and non screen adaptations. Also, the Hobbit is much more 'reader friendly', so you might try that if you are feeling left out of the Tolkein love-fest and want to figure out what people fell in love with.

-mapletree
I much preferred Raymond Feist's original Riftwar novels.

My favorite of Feist was his stand-alone Faery Tale. Among the best books of modern-day dark fantasy.

Moonglade