Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
But a change to what???

This is for me at the very heart of what I don't understand and seems to be indefinable about sustainable business.

I don't think government regulations belong in the business sector. If that were the case, Unions could negotiate with complete freedom. No pay no bennies no work.

...Give us specifics about what you mean, what you want, what you see as wrong.

What's wrong: We (the people) have bought into the corporate programming that we always need more. This causes increasing consumption supported by wasteful use of resources and mistreatment of people. It is also inherently unsatisfying since we never get enough. Frighteningly, we are exporting our consumptive ideal to the two-thirds world that it is despoiling. Gaia will not support our current path.

What we should do: My favorite sign at the WTO protests was "THINK ABOUT WHERE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY". People do shout at protests:) The best way to change corporations is not through regulation that they will just work around, for example they use the WTO against our laws. The most effective way to change corporate behaviour is to control their revenue. This is the language that corporations understand and respond to.

Specifics: Take time to think about what we buy and how it's made. We can be sure that something selling at a mega chain for a cheap price comes with a large unpaid debt to people and planet. We need to ween ourselves off of trinkets, gadgets, and just plain stuff. This will force less sustainable corporations to reduce production and their negative impacts. Next, take the money we save and use it to support more sustainable enterprises. We can shift our spending from stuff to organic food and local merchants.

As others here have said, we're not going to go from where we are now to perfect in one step. But we need to start. We can do it.

Hans

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.