Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
but a company that realizes it faces very serious long-term issues would preserve capital with a death grip - right?

Yes, it seems like the first thing a company should do. Second thing I would do is make the in-store shopping experience as good as possible. Experiment with store design, etc. I acknowledge that investing in the stores may go against point #1 regarding the balance sheet.

I think BBBY has a reasonable niche in which to compete. I like Amazon, and buy a lot from them. But, I don't find the Amazon site great for everything. Often there are too many choices. Duplicates of the same item. Difficult filters.

Plus, I think BBBY has some things people might like to see in person. Dishes. Bed spreads. Pillows. Etc. Some of them may also lend themselves to exclusives (e.g., exclusive dish set designs).

When I got married (longer ago than it used to be), BBBY was huge in the registry space. We registered there, as did most of our friends for their weddings. I figured it produced high margin sales because you were stuck with the particular models/items on the registry. Not sure how BBBY's registry business is today, but I would also work on making that the best experience possible.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.