Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
But again - that's different from saying that Biden has done "everything he could" to combat the pandemic....

Ahh. You're going back to the Max Boot comment at the top of the thread. I've already written off Boot as a fool. He's just proving it yet again.

I certainly didn't claim Biden did everything he could. I claimed he prioritized certain issues over others. We can disagree about his choice of priorities, of course.

One of the main parts of Biden's "agenda" (one that probably ranked higher for voters than any of the legislative matters than any of the issues now twisting up Congress) was to shepherd us out of the pandemic and the myriad economic problems caused by it.

From my point of view, he did a pretty good job of that. Vaccines have been widely available for several months now. We just got some additional approvals today (which have very little to do with the President, but are good optics). Anyone who wants a vaccine can get one. Availability is no longer and issue. In terms of where the virus is affecting people the most, that's in states led by people who refuse to take advantage of the available solutions to the pandemic. The economy is improving - enough that inflation concerns are rising again. I'd say that he HAS shepherded the country out of the pandemic and the associated economic problems.

Turns out that a lot more should have been done on the pandemic.

I'm going to disagree with this. There was a lot more that COULD have been done. Whether it should have been done is a question of priorities.

I happen to think that he came down somewhat on the state's rights side of things. He only put vaccine mandates in for federal employees, which is arguably within the rights of any employer. He didn't attempt to override vaccine prohibitions put in place by a couple of state governors, although he seems to be willing to point out the foolishness of such actions. He has given states the tools they need to get themselves out of the pandemic. If those states refuse to take advantage of the tools they have, that's their problem.

Could more be done to fight anti-vax sentiment? Yes. SHOULD more be done? Maybe. Maybe not. Frankly, I'm tired of fighting against the anti-vax crowd. If they want to put their lives on the line for some stupid position they see as political while others see it as public health, fine. I can wear a mask and keep some distance from others while they kill themselves off. I'm ready to move on to other issues that can make the lives of many people better. Time to let Darwin have the final say.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.