Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
But by any reasonable measure of the results they have achieved they have been a failure.

I understand your sentiment - but all you're really saying is that the only reasonable measure of administration policy is one that coincides with your own personal perspectives on the issues. For example, I'll excerpt two paragraphs of your original post:

Look at what has been done to science under this administration. Stem cell research is held back, the very validity of the scientific method is again up for debate by those who think truth is revealed rather than discovered. Look at the anti-gay bigotry that has been inflamed and encouraged to flourish by the Republicans.

Look at the debt our progeny will have to pay, so that the wealthy could have their tax burden shifted onto the poor. And at the tapped national resources they will have to work with due to the Republicans' wastefulness and irresponsibility. Look at the damage done to our federal agencies under the neglect of cronies like Michael Brown.

There are those who regard it as a success that stem cell research has been held back - they believe that the moral implications of such research outweigh the potential benefits. There are those who question the scientific method, or who believe that its inconsistencies with revealed truth are attributable to bias or malfeasance on behalf of those who implement it.

There are those who believe that anti-gay bigotry is an appropriate response to homosexuality. Nor is there any clear, universal rule that allows us to determine whether it is better to conserve resources for the future instead of using them to solve present day problems. And there are many who believe that federal agencies are not the appropriate means for solving problems, and that they should not receive nearly the attention or resources they currently get.

I assume that you disagree with most of the positions described above; for the record, I do as well. But neither of us is a philosopher-king, with the right to decide that our own views are the only "reasonable measure" of policy and that these views are therefore "unreasonable." If the outcome of the political process is that the views described above are favored by the majority of participants, then that's the legitimate outcome. Demeaning that process as merely "filling offices" doesn't do justice to that outcome.

Albaby
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.