Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
But can he take the whole $90K out of his inherited IRA?

One of the interesting things about inherited IRAs is that you can take out as much as you want to without penalty, as long as at a minimum you take the RMD. You do owe income tax on the disbursement if it is not a Roth that is seasoned. So it could be better for your friend to spread the amount he pulls out of the inherited IRA over a number of years. Better yet, keep it in there and let the retirement funds grow.

Also note that if he wants to keep it as an IRA, it has to be an institution to institution transfer to a specifically set up IRA in his dad's name with him listed as beneficiary.

I'm not a tax pro, but am dealing with my own inheritance this year. I second the suggestion to get legal advice. Sis is the executor of Dad's estate, and unfortunately she did not take my advice to consult a tax pro, or a lawyer, and has been winging it. I am pretty sure that is going to cost us all a good chunk of our inheritance from the way she handled sale of stock, but again, I'm no pro. I just look like one next to my siblings.

Ah well, the Federal Gov't could use some extra income.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.