Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
But can we please dispense with the nonsense that just because the players are whining, overpaid, spoiled asses, that the owners are somehow right, or more laughably, somehow morally correct?

I'll admit (that while I shake my head in disbelief at both parties) that I have leaned towards the owners side more times than not. But believe me when I say that it's not because I think that the owners are right or (justifiably laughable) morally correct.

[One second. Owners. Morally correct. Bwahahahahaa.]

Okay I'm back.

The reason I lean towards the owners side is simply because they hold all the cards, or at least they can conceal them for a much longer time before having to fold. I feel for the players. Most of them aren't business-minded folk. They're Hockey players and they hired Bob Goodenow to take care of their NHLPA-related interests. Unfortunately, good old Bobby has led the players down a slippery slope trying to push a boulder up a greased hill.

The title of the thread asks, "How can the NHLPA win?" They can't win, yet they drink to the Pied Piper Koresh Kool Aid and believe they can. Or at least they're being forced to believe it. That's where I find fault. The best offer they could have received is long gone -- and even the worst case offer is better than not playing and letting the much-storied legacy of the NHL fall apart at the seams. If there are players who are so concerned about the NHL as slave labour, then maybe those players should have studied a little harder and gone to business school instead.

Unfortunately there are some players who would have accepted the previous offer(s) and they're being taken along for the Rah-rah ride.

Keith...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.