Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
but do you see my point? Is it a better indication of Rule Maker status to evaluate
Nokia against the average of Ericson, Motorola, and QCOM or only against the strongest of these? <<<

I'll offer my opinion. (just my opinion) While it is good to beat the average of all competitors it is even better to beat them all. I personally would analyze the company against each individual company and then the average of the two or three strongest competitors. I've also thought of doing a weighted average comparison based on trailing twelve month sales, but nobody I've suggested it to thought that would really add much. The only industry I can think of where there are mutiple companies that are close (by RM standards) is pharmaceuticals (IMHO a very unique business environment with patent laws and FDA regs) This is the only industry in which I, personally would invest in a company that wasn't a nearly no-brainer monopoly and call it a rulemaker.

Fool on and good luck,

MarkV
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.