No. of Recommendations: 2
But I remember using tape drives like these:

Me too, Your picture is an IBM 727 ~ early 60's, I used those in the late 60's. I worked on the next
generation competing with the IBM 3400 series. One tape controller (all the electronics except the tape
drive servos) could control eight ( if I remember correctly). Roughly $50K for the controller and eight
drives at $15K each in 1970. More than $600K in today's dollars for a max of l.5 GBytes on line with
a worst case access time of 60 seconds. But in reality most systems were not bought they were leased
and came with an onsite customer engineer to minimize down time. As we all recognize we have come a
long way.

I have SSD plus a RAID 5 redundant hard disk system at home with still another drive for weekly backup.
Have used RAID systems on multiple system upgrades over the last 20+ years and in that time I can only
remember two drives fail. Never any down time just replaced the bad drive and continue playing.

RAM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.