Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1

But my gross salary wouldn't include company paid benefits, which I can't factor in. But, even so...

Larger companies often provide a total compensation amount. They factor in vacation, benefits, etc.

I have a relative who never married, had no kids, had a good paying job, and never bought a house (he did rent for a while) and is living in the house he grew up in so he is doing quite well (financially).

I'd be in good shape if my GF had any money, even 1/3 of what I have but unfortunately she doesn't. Fortunately she doesn't spend much either.

And I don't regret for a second spending money while younger on ski trips and European vacations. Getting older can make travel tougher and unexpected situations like the virus makes me very glad I got my major bucket things in while I was younger and healthy (it was a small bucket list).

My mother got sick and my father and her never had the retirement they had hoped for so I learned from them that it is better to enjoy it (within reason) than waiting until retirement which may not come, or not come in a way you hoped it would.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.