Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
But, that being said, somehow I still think that common sense dictates some diversification away from "tech" stocks even if the tech companies the port already holds can only loosely be categorized together.

Just to play devil's advocate here - if "tech" is the 2nd industrial revolution then perhaps investing in other than tech is like investing in pack-horse farms or spinning-wheels. In other words, yes you do diversity, but you diversify into the past and away from the future.

I'm not sure I agree with that personally - and as a result I have some non tech (and non-bio-tech/pharma) companies in my portfolio but they have generally underperformed the tech ones by quite a considerable margin.

To be honest GAP is a less efficient form of AMAZON - i.e. its a retailer. Retailers - since they are always the last link on the chain between raw material and consumer - are generally at the mercy of a combination of Christmas, fashion and their suppliers. This is a hard area to make rules.

Perhaps we need to look at other places. Essentially I think we need to think what is the common element of all our rulemakers. Thats simple - its high margin sales and high growth. So if we want to diversify perhaps we need to look at other places where there is reasonable growth and high margins.

For example how about luxury goods (Champage, perfume...)? One of my investments (a good one or so I thought until the last month or 2 when it has declined rather a lot) is Louis Vuitton Moet Hennesy a.k.a LVMH. Of course LVMH - despite owning a huge number of those brands that one just has to have if one is anybody - has a number of disadvantages. The main one is that it's French and is thus somewhat reticent about its numbers and shareholder information. However in the luxury goods market is is absolutely top dog and showing (with Sephora and sephora.com) lots of innovation and rule-making power.

DD
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.