Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
but the husband moved out of state for a job and spent the majority of his time in that state.
Did the husband still live in the house?

Did he change his drivers license address?
His voting registration?
His residence according to tax forms?
Or was he temporarily working away from his primary residence and had a second residence near his job?

We have the opposite situation in that I moved to a new state a year before DH joined me when he retired. We bought a new place a little more than 2 years following the purchase of the first house. I had become a resident at the first house for the two years plus two weeks, with DH joining me for the second year. It's now a rental, in year 3 of ownership, but if we sell within the 5 year period, I assumed we could at least claim a pro-rated amount of up to $250K of the capital gains based on my record, not the full $500K we would have been eligible for had he moved at the same time as I did, or we had kept it as a primary residence for another year to secure his two years of residence. I changed my drivers license, registration, primary address on taxes, etc, when moving into the first house. His remained at the state he continued working in, until he retired and joined me in this state.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.