Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
But their history over the last 5 years of my ownership makes me question my assumptions regarding their track record.

Five years is a long enough time for a stock to perform and I can certainly understand why you want to shift capital to other opportunities. Given Blackstone's C-Corp announcement this may be a good time to cut Apollo loose if you are so inclined.

Specifically, I wonder if their playbook for PE works today. ADT indicates maybe not. Does using a SPAC really make a difference? Isn't it still a public company with a bad balance sheet and a huge sponsor overhang?

I mentioned the SPAC example because it is an alternative to a traditional IPO. There is nothing inherent to a traditional IPO or SPAC that requires Apollo to bring debt-heavy companies to the market; at the very least they could require their portfolio companies to sell more equity in the IPO; Apollo can also stop doing dividend-recaps prior to the IPO or SPAC.

The advantage of a dividend-recap is that it gooses IRR and cuts LP exposure to the stock. But if enough investors sour on heavy debt loads, presumably Apollo can adjust. I think the history of Apollo reveals a degree of creativity.

Did Apollo bring ADT to the market too soon? Yes, and Leon Black would agree with you. Does that invalidate their process? I don't think so but you may disagree. I'm not even sure that ADT is going to be a loser for Apollo. Investors like Bill Miller are sniffing around ADT at this price; maybe they see something undervalued.

However, if you think Apollo's PE approach is past its sell date then it's time to get out.

Over time I came to the conclusion that online stock posters should not try to convince others to invest or stay invested. (No 'here's 5 reasons why Apollo PE will succeed' or '3 reasons Apollo is undervalued') when a fellow board participant is on the fence.

It's your decision; it's your money.

ET
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.