No. of Recommendations: 9
But then I have to ask, are these not the same bonds that the US government is selling to individuals through brokerages and banks around the country.

No, they are not actually.

Sometime around 1970 or 1980, they switched from bonds that could be bought and sold on the secondary market to bonds that are not marketable. They can only buy bonds sold by the Treasury.

Do individuals in other countries also purchase these same bonds because of their safety, or their interest, or for whatever reason?

Nope. No one but our federal government sells them the bonds and pays the interest.

Don't foreign governments buy these bonds,

Again, nope.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/fundFAQ.html

By law, income to the trust funds must be invested, on a daily basis, in securities guaranteed as to both principal and interest by the Federal government. All securities held by the trust funds are "special issues" of the United States Treasury. Such securities are available only to the trust funds.

In the past, the trust funds have held marketable Treasury securities, which are available to the general public. Unlike marketable securities, special issues can be redeemed at any time at face value. Marketable securities are subject to the forces of the open market and may suffer a loss, or enjoy a gain, if sold before maturity. Investment in special issues gives the trust funds the same flexibility as holding cash.

I understand how you can make this point and convince yourself that it's true.

I don't understand how you can try to make a point without taking the 30 seconds it would have taken you to educate yourself before posting.

I think you have convinced yourself of something with infallible logic, except that it's completely wrong.

You're funny.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.