Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
but there isn't really much of an LNG spot market currently (see #1).

True, but methinks if the Aussies, Canucks, USians, Indonesians, Russians and a bunch of others get even a third of planned projects up and running that could change?

If the Japanese restart or rebuild their nuclear industry (I believe they will) then things could get very competitive in the industry.

I think the best part to invest in is not the "end of the supply line" shipping part that would be most hurt by a glut but rather the start (producers) and middle (processors and pipelines) part of the line.

Tim

Just heard the Feds have approved converting the TRP "Mainline" to convert from Nat gas to oil for "Eastern"*** Canada.

*** - when Westerners use the term "Eastern Canada they mean anything east of the Manitoba/Ontario border.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-n...

TransCanada looks east as Gateway pipeline gets bogged down

NATHAN VANDERKLIPPE, SHAWN McCARTHY

CALGARY, OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Mar. 22 2012, 7:23 PM EDT

TransCanada Corp. is proposing a major shift in the way oil moves across Canada, urging the oil patch to consider a massive $5.6-billion new pipeline system that would carry large volumes of western crude to refineries in Ontario, Quebec and beyond.

The East Coast Pipeline Project, as TransCanada has dubbed it in presentations to energy companies, could do more than supply the east with fuels made from oil sands crude. It could serve as an alternative to Northern Gateway, the controversial West Coast export pipeline project from TransCanada competitor Enbridge Inc. that has faced a wall of opposition from first nations and environmental groups.

This is also interesting though I may have mentioned it before. It would seem that TRP has become the builder of choice for gas lines to LNG terminals in BC?

I may have to increase my holding in this fellow though the current price is steep compared to my original buy?

Tim

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-09/transcanada-to-deve...

TransCanada Plans $5.1 Billion Pipeline to LNG Terminal

By Jim Polson & Rebecca Penty - Jan 9, 2013 5:23 PM GMT-0400.

TransCanada Corp. (TRP), builder of the Keystone XL oil pipeline, was selected to construct and operate a C$5 billion ($5.1 billion) natural-gas conduit to Petroliam Nasional Bhd’s planned export terminal in British Columbia.

Progress Energy Canada, purchased by Petronas last month for C$5.2 billion, selected Calgary-based TransCanada to build the Prince Rupert pipeline, which will be capable of expansion to 3.6 billion cubic feet a day, according to today’s statement. The project is TransCanada’s second proposed pipeline to an LNG export terminal on the West Coast, following its previously announced Coastal GasLink pipeline.

“From a trading perspective, we view today’s announcement as an unexpected positive development that should provide support for TRP’s shares,” ...

‘Competitive Process’

Gas producers in British Columbia’s Montney Shale, far from North American population centers, are seeking Asian markets for the heating and power-plant fuel. Petroliam Nasional, or Petronas, as Malaysia’s state-owned energy company is known, has said a final investment decision on the terminal, with an estimated cost C$9 billion to C$11 billion, is expected late next year.

Winning Contracts

“It looks like TransCanada is going to be the builder of choice to get gas to the West Coast, with two pipelines running two separate paths, one to Prince Rupert and one to Kitimat,” said Steven Paget, an analyst at FirstEnergy Capital Corp. in Calgary.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.