Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
This has been discussed on NPI and some paid boards. Its a handheld, portable ultrasound machine that attaches to your phone. Note- I'll use POCUS to refer to point of care ultrasound regularly.

In short:
-cool factor - this is very much the apple of ultrasound
-ease of use - layout is super easy to use, and connects to EMR and PACS to import images
-customer service is amazing
-cost - lowest in the game
-single probe !!!
- they integrate to the emr and their cloud is easy to navigate. you can tag images and easily search for "that one clip" for teaching purposes. you can do remote qa/qi.
-growing sales.
-growing indications (vet med)
-growing the number of users - "democratizing point of care ultrasound;" ... POCUS is no longer limited to emergency medicine and critical care.

whats lacking?
-probably stickiness. TBH, I didnt renew my membership since I have access to a ferrari of a machine in my ICU and dont work alot in my critical access ED (even then, I can use the IQ, just not have the most updated version).
-local practice willingness to commit to POCUS and hone their image-acquisition skills. I would say the majority of folks dont see the value of it (which I obviously disagree with strongly).
-I dont see it ever being great for procedures because of the size of the probe.

As for Butterfly as an investment.
-They stumble. alot. but they make it right eventually with their customers. They have had delays. but they constantly improve. Expect this sort of rockiness. To me, this is a bit more of an Elon Musk-esque constantly aspiring to be amazing. Example, they kept having delays in delivering. They called me and gave me a steep discount when it was delayed a few months. The probe heats up and automatically shuts down when using certain energy zapping features- they worked on this alot.
-looks like they are expecting a wireless probe in 2022.
-I dont know about the "wearable in home technology" in 2023. I would not get too excited about this. This requires a massive paradigm shift that medicine is in now way ready for.
-First ones to fully embrace PAs & NPs, non-emergency medicine and non-critical care providers, first ones to embrace students.

... in short, they are disruptors. Full stop.

-70% gross margin goal
-60% yoy revenue growth or above projected until at least 2024.
-10.6X valuation for 2022 revenues vs 13-20x for comparables with slower growth
... using the likes of zoom, square, salesforce, teladoc, guardant, 10x, Dexcom, Inari, etc as comparisons...

I really admire this companies strategy and customer-centricity. The folks I have interacted with at HQ really buy into the mission. The CEO had a health-related issue in his family, saw an issue and fixed it.

-Fuma, long LGVW, soon to be BFLY.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.