Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm in need of sound advice. I will soon come upon approximately 47K as a result of my wife buying me out of the equity of our house (we have separated and in the process of divorcing). Rents in our area (Washington DC) are extremely high, if not higher than a mortgage payment, so I've thought of using that money to buy another home, albeit much smaller. However, I also have in excess of 25K in credit card debt and I would like to pay this off or at least bring the debt to a more controlable level. My question is: Which should be my priority, the purchase of a home or pay off of the credit cards? I would love to pay off my credit cards altogether, but I may be left with too little to qualify for the purchase of the home. I should mention that I would like to buy close to work to save on commuting expenses (which are very expensive in the area) but prices in that area are a little higher.

Jungletiger
Print the post  

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.