No. of Recommendations: 1
Buy an S&P 500 Index fund.

If you feel like doing something more active, put 60% into the S&P 500 index fund and the remaining 40% into Berkshire Hathaway. Then read the BRK board once a week. When folks there start talking about the stock getting close to IV (you'll learn what that is by reading the board), sell half the BRK and reinvest it into the index fund.

On the day you sell, go out to that nice dinner spot again. You'll likely be able to well afford it.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.