No. of Recommendations: 5
I used to also keep bookstores in business. When I really started taking control of my expenditures, I applied for a local library card. My library has online service so I can research before going to check and see if a particular book I want to read is on the shelves and also the online service allows me to recheck books if they may be getting close to the due date. I used to think that going to the library was inconvenient, but it only takes an extra five minutes to drive to the library versus Barnes and Noble. And it definitely equals more money to pay bills and save.
purtygud
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I also get books from UBS (Used Book Store) near me, and from half.com
I used to go to the library a lot, but now I tend to buy books from Barnes and Noble- although I tend to like cruising the bargain book stacks- sometimes Barnes and Noble will have a whole stack of books for $1- I can almost always find a couple worth reading. I guess I figured that it isn't worth driving out of the way to go to the library for recreational reading material (especially when I can buy a book for less than the cost of a gallon of gas).
I suppose that if I lived/worked closer to a library I might use it more.

jb
LuluB wrote:
I also get books from UBS (Used Book Store) near me, and from half.com

I too have adopted the UBS strategy - I have a major book fetish and love to build my library, but this is also v. expensive. Since I have moved to Boston, however, there are used bookstores on every corner - it's a great challenge and great fun to scavenge for desired books in the used stores, and it saves tons of money!
And.....I'll throw in my normal soapbox stuff:

1. http://www.75offbooks.com/ if you live near Dallas/Ft. Worth.

2. Go to B&N, grab some coffee, and sit and read all day. At least in my area, that's no problem with them.

3. Consider checking out books on cd and cassette tape at your local library. I'm amazed at the selection even some of the smaller ones have. Unabridged only. Darn.....I'm listening to The Firm by Grisham.....it made me miss my exit coming to work a couple days ago.<G>
--Randy
One of the disadvantages of living in "the country" (out nowhere) is there's no library legally assigned to our region. (It is in a county only, not a town).
Fortunately, as a University employee, I've got access to one of the largest interlibrary loans in the country (world?) if I should not find it there.

I think I get to keep access when I retire too!
:-)
and all the on line library help you need.
[I keep having to remind myself why I don't get a risky well paying job in private industry.....]

joycets