Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I am thinking about buying ORCL shares but I wanted to get a rough idea of the valuation of the apps part of Oracle's business.

Before all this happened Oracle was trading at $20. Now I presume part of the rise was due to an increase of Oracle databases for Internet servers – so I'll say, arbitrarily, then it would be worth a $10 rise. The current price is $80 so that leaves $50 dollars for the Applications market.

From Yahoo the market cap is $225 Billion ( I presume that this isn't fully diluted - but it will do for the sake of this example).

So the rise in the share price is equivalent to

50 / 80 * 225 = $140 billion.

They returned $447 million dollars from Applications ( 61% increase for the quarter) - if I say that they'll manage a 30% for the next 4Q ( I don't know if there is any management guide lines for this ) then I get a P/S ( where s = license sales) of
( With a 30% increase per Q we get 581 , 755 , 982, 1276 = 3.5 billion)

So the P/S is 140 / 3.5 = 40

Is this along the right lines?
Would it be fair for me to compare this with other companies in the applications space?

------------------------------------------------

Also,

Comparison of Oracle V Siebel for the last 5 CRM License revenue

............6/99....9/99....12/99....2/00.....6/00
Oracle.......44......31......49.......49......113

............6/99....9/99....12/99....3/00.....7/00
Siebel......110......126.....170.....190.......???

If we are to believe those figures and if this is no fluke, and we have no reason to suppose, then Siebel will not be a gorilla in 2 quarters time.

Supply Chain.

ITWO License fees for the last q - $113 million.
ORCL “ “ “ “ “ “ - $26 million

I'm not worrying yet ( but then I said that about CRM :) ).

Do we agree that providing Oracle keeps this pace then Siebel will no longer be a Gorilla or do we think that Oracle has been to liberal as what counts towards CRM?

(I know that Oracle has tendered to have a good 4th quarter and a weak 1st and 2nd but if Larry is believed this will no longer happen.)

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.