No. of Recommendations: 0
I just found the company www.oneshare.com who specialize in buying just one share of a company. It seems to be to good to be true, although it does take 4-8 weeks to get the certificate-- is that normal and has anyone heard about this company--- are they legit.
Print the post Back To Top
Pete,

I just found the company www.oneshare.com who specialize in buying just one share of a company. It seems to be to good to be true, although it does take 4-8 weeks to get the certificate-- is that normal and has anyone heard about this company--- are they legit.

Sock Puppet rating on this one is "Two Toes Down".

They advertise the lowest prices. Let's see:

No charge to purchase the share but postage is $39 or something or is that $39 to fold the certificate (haven't looked lately so I'm guessing at current price)?

Also they'll purchase a single share for you in Cos. that don't offer DRIPs. Great, I've got a single share of MicroSoft what do I do next???

There are many ways to get that first share. Many of us use MoneyPaper and its affiliate: Temper of the Times. Better prices and they've been around for years.

http://www.moneypaper.com

http://www.directinvesting.com

There are people here who have used OneShare so they are legit. It's just that you can do better.

OB

Yes they are legit, but moneypaper better deal. You can do a one day membership thing and get discounted member purchase rates ... or break down and subscribe --

No I do not work for MP - just used them several times and they produce the goods, enroll you in drip, and are responsive to questions

Irina
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have used oneshare.com though I haven't received the share I personally bought. However I did see the share I bought for my sister from Tiffany and Co. for her 20th birthday and it looked great. They do offer companies with DRIP plans by the way since I purchased Johnson and Johnson from them.Simply look for the DRIP link. Otherwise if you simply want to purchase a share and don't really care about presentation or framing it I also recommend moneypaper, having recently bought shares from them as well. It comes down to whether you want it fraimed or not I would say.
Another organization that can help get you started in a DRIP is at www.firstshare.com ... I used them a couple of years ago and they are okay. They are a loose-knit network of individual investors who will transfer a share to you in exchange for a small fee. You will not get the certificate; it's for people who want to get into DRIPs and DSPs.

Arash,

Another organization that can help get you started in a DRIP is at www.firstshare.com ... I used them a couple of years ago and they are okay. They are a loose-knit network of individual investors who will transfer a share to you in exchange for a small fee. You will not get the certificate; it's for people who want to get into DRIPs and DSPs.

Tell us about the process. I went to the site once and it looked rather convoluted and not all that much of a savings over MP or discount broker.

OB
I went to the site once and it looked rather convoluted and not all that much of a savings over MP or discount broker.

Well, it was less convoluted than opening a brokerage account just to get a few share certificates. But Moneypaper is easier. With FirstShare, you have to pay a membership fee, pick your stock, they put you in touch with a member who is holding your target stock, you send money, they send receipt, you sign up for DRIP... kinda like getting your uncle or gandma to transfer a share to you, but for people who don't have the necessary stockholder relatives.

I prefer BUYandHOLD.com now, but they didn't exist when I used FirstShare.

Don't know if you've bought that share of stock yet, but wanted to give you my experience with oneshare.com .

If you don't care how long it takes for your share to arrive, they might work fine for you. But I just filed a BBB report against OneShare.com for not following through on their shipping promises. I bought a share of Disney for my baby's first birthday. Well, I ordered it on Sept. 17... plenty of time for their alleged "4-8 weeks shipping. His birthday is tomorrow, 10 weeks later, and I still haven't received my order.
val,

One thing to remember:

The BBB is "not" a consumer protection agency. They are a business protection agency. They are funded by business. Probably the first action the BBB will take is to send Oneshare a membership application.

I suggest you call your BBB and ask them to spell out exactly what their complaint policy is.

Locally, I had an experience with a nuisance company and filed 2 written complaints against them with the BBB. Friends who called later were told, "No complaints have been registered."

I called them back and demanded to know what this meant:

Policy wasd when a complaint is received they mailed the complaint to the offending Co. If they didn't respond NO COMPLAINT WAS REGISTERED.

One of the orginizations this Co. scammed was the Canadian Cancer Society. They called me about the situation. The local BBB was intentionally misleading the CCS. I raised enough of a stink about this policy was changed.

OB